Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where do you download WDDM driver package?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

The trend of "automating" everything is making it harder and harder to do anything right. The latest screwup is the hiding of drivers behind auto-scan systems. Now I'd like to get the latest drivers for my nVidia cards, but I can't get them from nVidia except by installing JAVA. which I am NOT going to do, and I can't get them from Microsoft except by downloading EACH time I want to install on multiple machines. Since the drivers are 265 Mb that's a lot of wasted time and bandwidth. Where can I get the WDDM drivers directly (and ONCE) instead of having to use Windows Update on each machine? You can usually find hotfixes for direct download, so why not drivers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

Hi Alchemist :)

You can download your NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA Drivers webpage without using Java. What is your graphic card brand and model, and also, exact version of Windows? Also, do you have a computer or a laptop?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 13 March 2015 - 09:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:13 AM

Also just to precise, you only need Java on the NVIDIA Drivers webpage if you use their auto-detection tool for your drivers. If you enter the information manually (which you can do and I suggest you to do), you won't need Java to download them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:47 AM

The manual search doesn't work in my current browser. I tried Internet Explorer and the manual search finally works. So I could get it there now. But I still want the WDDM package direct from Microsoft if possible. I know my graphics card info. It's just a matter of finding the download page in the MS site complex.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,601 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

You know that WDDM drivers are less performant than the NVIDIA original drivers, right? WDDM graphic drivers have a lot of issues so I don't recommend you to use them.

unite_blue.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

I agree with Aura, stick with the NVIDIA drivers.

Please post the Speccy, there is information there which will be useful.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users