Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Couple Of Questions About Video Monitors and Graphic Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hello All,

I am new to this whole computer scene and I have a lot to learn about all of the various aspects of computer technology. First, I am in the middle of building my first computer and I have been tweaking it since I first assembled it a couple of weeks ago. I just added a new monitor, a Samsung 24 inch high resolution monitor. http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS24D360HL/ZA

It has really made a big difference over my previous monitor which was an old HP monitor that came with a pre-packaged computer which I bought in 2009. My first question deals with the software that comes packaged with the monitor. The monitor itself was plug and play, I simply plugged it into the computer with an HDMI cable and it worked flawlessly. So what is on the CD that is included and do I really need it if I am happy with the monitor as it is?

Second, I will be adding a cheap graphics card to my computer this weekend, like this; http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2020&lid=1

Will this card be a simple plug and play addition or will I need to add special software for it? Also, will adding this card make my present video capabilities out of the back of my motherboard null and void, or will the video jacks on the back of the motherboard still be functional? I would like to be able to access the video processing of the motherboard in the future in case anything goes wrong with the video card. Any help would be appreciated.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

Only saw this topic just now.

Monitors are normally just plug and play, they don't normally need any particular software to work. I have no idea what is on the CD you mention, but one option you have is to put it in the player and have a look at the contents. If there isn't an option to browse the CD when Autorun starts, close Autorun and have a look at the CD  via Windows Explorer.

Video cards normally come with a CD containing their drivers and often other software you may or may not want. Again, the starting screen will usually tell what the disc contains. Your new card will not disable your on-board graphics and their connectors, its just that you will stop using them except in the unhappy situation that you video card stops working.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I bought and installed a graphics card, just like this http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1226&pid=2020&lid=1 I could not get it to work and my original video output on my motherboard would not work when the graphics card was connected so I sent the graphics card back. I do not play any games on my PC, and I probably never will, so I do not think that I am ever going to install another graphics card. I am happy with my video monitor and I never did insert that disc that came with it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

This is part of the story about that stupid adventure with the graphics card;

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570118/help-i-installed-a-new-graphics-card-and-my-monitor-is-now-analog/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users