Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Crash Of Win98se

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gonsalves

gonsalves

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hi friends,
I have a strange problem. My system crashes quite often now. I think that it may be due to incompatibility of some programs or the DVD drive that I have installed recently. I don't want to uninstall all of them. My question is, is there any software available to detect incompatibility of programs, drivers or other clashing items? I use AVG free latest and its scan revealed nothing. AdawareSe says I am clean and so does Spybot S&D. I also ran Sysclean and found nothing. It was not like this before. My os is win98SE. Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

My first question would be, how long is it since windows was installed?

When I had win98, I found it necessary to do a format & fresh install about twice a year.
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#3 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:25 AM

Hi Floydoid,
It was about 18 months back that I installed this Win 98SE on a new hard disk. It was a hassle free,clean installation. It was working fine till last month when I decided to upgrade my machine with come hadware and softwares. I generally keep my machine clean and do not prefer to install and uninstall programs frequently. I beleive it accumulates garbage in the registry. If I can know who is the culprit, then I need to uninstall it only.

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

Have you tried uninstalling the new software, followed by a re-boot?
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#5 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:27 PM

That is what is hurting me. I have installed about 6 new programmes, most of them are in daily use.There are two programmes which I have downloaded from the net. They were free (not bete) versions then but now they are paid versions. I am from a place from where making international payments over the net is very difficult. When I tried to install these two on another partition running Win XP it says that the software version is outdated and pl contact ---- site for the latest version. I do not want to loose the running software. Instead of making it on trial and error basis if I can find out which is the real culprit I can save a lot of trouble.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

It might be a good idea to do a memory test. Bad memory can cause frequent crashes. You can try either Memtest86 or Microsoft Memory Test. These both work by themselves, and your CD or floppy, whichever method you use, needs to be set as the first boot drive in the BIOS.

#7 gonsalves

gonsalves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:40 AM

The memory test didnot show any abnormality but after changing my keyboard the problem has subsided.No more crashes in the last week. How did I get the idea of changing the Key board? my young one spilled Pepsi on the Key board damaging it beyond repair. Strange problem and strange solution, funny isnt? Well, thanks for all the help.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:45 PM

Not so strange, perhaps, but I'm glad you found it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users