Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad doesn't work at first

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

Note to Admin: I think this is the operating system itself, as I remember there have been updates inbetween (and after). If this is some sort of virus, I apologize and please move to appropriate thread.

On my HP PC with windows 8.1 I've always been able to just log in. The last 2 days though, the touchpad/keyboard won't react (so I can't insert my password) when I first start the computer. When I then command "restart" (with the mouse, which does work), I get the same loginscreen but this time I can use my touchpad/keyboard.

So this problem is manageble (just always restart after just havign started the computer :unsure: ), but I would like to understand why it goes wrong at the initial start up. Any ideas?

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 13 March 2015 - 07:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there is a problem with the touchpad driver?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:46 AM

Yes, I looked in the Device Manger and it said there was no problem - which is correct after the I restart the computer. I ran the "fix problems" specifically on the touchpad-portion to be sure, but no problem was detected. 

I also tried to log in (at the initial start of the PC) with the "on screen keyboard"; I got in and the numlock light on my hardware keyboard started to glow so I figured it worked again, but none of the keys responded. No clue why the light started glowing though, as it didn't do so before I entered the password with the mouse :smash:

As for the make and model... HP 110 desktop PC-series, is that enough information?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

In my best Strother Martin imitation... "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

This is a desktop, a laptop has a touchpad which is used rather than a mouse.  What I suspect you are referring to is a touch screen monitor to be used with Windows 8/8.1.

Is this the case?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

:blush:

Nope... I thought touchpad was a synonym for keyboard. So sorry! I'm not a native English speaker :unsure: And I don't talk about devices much :P

It's just a PC with a regular keyboard I'm talking about. And I checked the hardware in the Device Manager - no problems. 

Thank you for noticing. So sorry!

BTW any ideas on how I can change the title of this topic? There's no "edit" button on the first post anymore...

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 15 March 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

Don't worry about the title of the topic, we now understand what we are working with, and so will anyone else following it. :thumbup2:

Are you the only user of this computer?

If you are, would you be willing to remove the password?

Do you have more than one user account?

Just to check things out, please do the following.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to 

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To run sfc /scannow in Windows 8 you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type in sfc /scannow (please note the space between sfc and /scannow), then press Enter.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

If it does find integrity problems the scan will continue.  This will take a while, please have patience and allow it finish.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic.

#7 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

Those instructions are very clear, thank you.

Looks like something is wrong indeed. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" ...

I tried to attach the log-file, but it is too big to upload. Copy+Paste gives the same problem. So I uploaded it to OneDrive,

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4D67B66E314FDD20%21288

4077 lines... :bubbles: I hope you know what to look for...

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

I apologize for not getting back sooner, we have a family emergency which takes precedence.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key, in the menu that opens click or tap on Command Prompt (Admin).  This will open the Elevated Command prompt.

Copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

#9 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

Thanks for replying while you're busy. Please keep in mind that this is not something that needs a speedy answer - the PC is workable it just really bugs me that I have to restart it all the time to make it work. I really dislike it when a computer suddenly doesn't do what it has always done before... and one has to find the reason why... I really appreciate your help!

As I understand this command will check images?! I guess there was something in the check-up which indicates that there's a problem somewhere.

EDIT: I ran it and it says "the component store corruption was repaired". :thumbsup:   I can't check whether the problem has disappeared right now, but I'll know when I start the computer from scratch in 4 hours time. I'll keep you updated.

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 24 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#10 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

The problem is still there :smash:

Is there any way to figure out what the computer does differently? Can I compare the initial startup algorithm with the 'restart' ?

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 24 March 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

Have you tried another keyboard?

Is this a wireless keyboard?

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

Tap or click on Device Manager in the menu which opens.

Click or tap on the diamond to the left of Keyboard.

Double click or tap on the keyboard information that has opened.

Click or tap on the Driver tab, then uninstall the driver.

Restart the computer.

When the computer restarts it will install a new driver for the keyboard.

#12 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Nope, that didn't do the tric.

It is an ordinary USB keyboard, perfectly compatible with the PC and working just fine after the restart. It just doesn't get recognized at the first start up. So I can unplug and replug the keyboard as I like, it will not work the first time round and work perfectly after the restart.  :scratchhead:

I have to say, the restart takes longer than the first start up (which is after pressing the on/of-button on the computer case). So maybe it initially 'forgets' to do something which it does do in the 'restart'...

Edit: I didn't try another keyboard. I'd really like for this keyboard to work, as it types so wonderfully :busy:

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 25 March 2015 - 05:51 PM.

#13 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

I switched the mouse and the keyboard - I plugged the mouse into the USB-port the keyboard was in and the other way around. I expected this to make the keyboard work and the mouse fall out. Strangely enought, both worked at the initial start up.

So the problem seems to be not there anymore.

But I don't understand why, for I have un- and replugged the keyboard itself several times before and that didn't do the trick... Computers are supposed to be so logical, but sometimes they really do work in mysterious ways..

Thank you very much for all your help.

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 29 March 2015 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users