Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Level1 tech support

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

I have started an internship within a company there is no engineer here my boss is expecting me too know things i dont know,can somebody please explain what level 1 tech support is and level2,cos i can do most level 1 things, use AD add users,resdet passwords etc,add printers,etc,but he is expecting me to be able to set up a network on my own,alot of level too stuff,he wanted me to configure a sonic wall yet i had never done a sonic wall,im only out of A 1 yr course im doing an intership

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2015 - 01:27 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to IT Certs/Careers - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

Explaining duties and responsibilities...is the role of the supervisor/boss in any employee situation.  You need to discuss the aspects of your internship with your immediate supervisor honestly...if there is to be any payoff on such for either of you, IMO.

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

I agree with what Luis said. I'm currently a Level 2 Technician for a company and our level 1 knows have at most, intermediate knowledge of Windows so they can answer easy calls and they can Google the harder ones. If they don't know the answer and we're not around to help them, they just "log" the call (open an incident) and we handle it. For everything that have to do with configuring a program, connection, setting, etc. unless it's fully Windows-related, your company should provide you documentation to follow in order to accomplish this task. It's impossible for one person to know every configs/setups for every programs of every companies, because each one have their own config. So if the company you're working for is lacking the documention for you to follow or at least learn the basics to assist in the calls you get, they are doing something wrong on their hand, not you. My advice would be to ask your colleagues if they have a "bank" of documentation you can access and if not, ask your supervisor about it. There's no company level 1 technician that can work without documention that will show him in the beginning how certain program are configured and how they work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:17 PM

yes thank you for that,i have been doing alot of AD STUFF adding users,resetting passwords etc thats all fine,setting up google apps is fine,i can do all the level one stuff but obviously witout ever doing the level2 stuff or been shown it i cant do it,ill try sort it out,there was a senior engineer here before i came in,he left to go out on his own,i came in as an intern,but the boss who really doesnt have much IT knowledge,expects me to be able too do all the stuff the last enginner done yet he is doing this 15 yrs where as i am only out of college and in this job 2 months

#5 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

configuring sonicwalls,virtualising hardrives would be level 2 or 3 would it?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Depending on how frequent you have to do this, and also if you have the proper documention and access to do that, it could be level 1. If it's a matter of a few clicks or even remotely install a program then leave it be, it could be level 1. If you have to install a program, configure settings, etc. then it would most likely be level 2 (at least, here). Level 1 Technicians are supposed to take the quick and easy calls that can usually be solved under 5-10 minutes. Everything that takes more time than that is usually logged for the Level 2 Techs. Here I'm describing how it works at my job, but it's pretty much standard and could be the same for you too.
One thing is sure, you cannot ask the Level 1 to do the job of a Level 2 (or even the Level 2 to do a job of the Level 3) if that Level 1 doesn't have the knowledge and appropriate tools to do it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:48 PM

ya thank you for that,no there is no documentation or anything he just turned around too me today snd said i need you too go down to a clients office and change sonic wall settings so the girls can remote in from home and increase theere virtual hardisk on server as its full,yet i have nobody to ask how to do it,or no documentation lol

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'll give you a tip, if you take the time to find out how to do this task, and create documentation for it then make it available for everyone, it'll all play in your favor. If you have time, create documentation for all the tasks you do that you didn't know how. This way, your boss will see you as someone who contributes and work for the company and for the others and he might offer you a position after your internship. It's a bit what happened to me since I was handling a big project and handled it in such a way that they only wanted me on it, and I'm still working on it :P If you can make yourself someone that cannot be replaced for a position in a company, chances are that they're going to keep you because they'll need you since they won't have anybody else.

unite_blue.png

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

First off, I suggest following Liz Ryan on LinkedIn.

Next, what you are being asked to do is beyond the scope of level 1 support.  Level 1 support for the most part answer phones, open tickets, perform basic trouble shooting, unlock accounts, and perform password resets.  Level 1 support follow scripts and knowledge base articles. Does that help you, not at all.

It is time to ask some questions.

Do you know why the engineer left, the real reason and not the company line?  Are they going to be replacing the engineer that left?

Do you want to stay at this company with your current boss?  If you don't, or you're not sure, you should start looking for a new position now.  I don't see this getting better.

While the suggest made by to document everything you do is good, I sincerely doubt that your boss is going to recognize you as a contributor, from what you've mentioned so far you are most likely going to be rewarded with more work.  Documentation makes doing your job easier.  You don't have to remember how to do X, all you need to do is know where the documentation for how to do X is located.  This is especially helpful for things that aren't done often, but are performed regularly.

Additionally someone who cannot be replaced cannot be promoted either.  What you want to do it provide a level of service that makes people want to deal with you when they have a need or a problem.  Share information, do not horde it. 

#10 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:23 PM

Just to add to everything else. What your saying is beyond the skill set/requirement of a LVL1, IMO. I dont know how big the company you work is but do they follow ITTL standards? If yes, this will give the definition of a level 1 and level 2 support.

The problem with management who have no IT skills, think IT is a straight forward thing.

Additionally someone who cannot be replaced cannot be promoted either.  What you want to do it provide a level of service that makes people want to deal with you when they have a need or a problem.  Share information, do not horde it.

This is one of the biggest issues you will find, a lot of people go over Knowledge Is Power, so they keep all the information to themselves, that way they look like the Star. But it is a lot better to share information, you will look like a team player if you do.

#11 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 359 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

ya thanks for all yere help,and since i have been in the job i have documented everyjob i have done,and alot of home users bring in laptops to us to be fixed,i have also documented every problem eachone had and  how i fixed it,

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

The main advice i woudl give is if you do not know what you are doing ona  production network, do not change/expand virtual disks unless you have done it before or have a really good backup solution if things go wrong.

Never test on production, always test in a virtual Lab mate.

From what i have read in this thread, it appears they are payign you bugger all money and making you work like a pig, i would suspect the other guy left because of this reason mate.

Why pay someone who has 15+ years expeierance when you can pay somone half the money straight from school.

I knew a fella who had a script buridied in a  database and if he did not login with the password once a month it would destroy the database and all files on the servers, this was his form of protecting his job because the company wanted to pay some kid to do the same job at literally half the pay rate.

Its a dog eat dog world in IT and people hold their cards to their chest very closley, ecspecially with out sourcing to places like india on the go these days.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 09 April 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

I have to disagree with you JohnnyJammer, holding information only makes people not want to work with you.  Moving jobs overseas is always a money decision made by the people who are not affected by decision.  The end users are always the ones who suffer.  Be the person people want to work with.

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

Might be the case where you work Kilroy but here in Australia the boss's will replace you with a 16 year old kid.

I have seen it time and time again mate, when something goes wrong and they are running at a $50K loss a day, its only then they release that being a cheap tight a.. was their own fault.

One place just last week i spent 2 hours fixing their issue with a printer because the IT fella before left because of pay conditions (They offered hima pay cut of 10K a year less) and they though "Ahh well we can hire a kid straight out of Uni" to fix the issue which he only made worse.

Well it turns out (The Uni kid) that he has since been sacked because his Degree from Uni isn’t worth the paper its written on, so they then asked the former employee to help which he said get stuffed so they rang me which I then helped.

I share everything I learn with anyone but in Australia it’s a dog eat dog world competing without sourcing companies (Ringing every day to the IT Manager) and overseas companies.

Simple fact is, a lot of IT companies have incompetent employees who think they know everything and will never admit to not knowing something and lie until they are blue in the face.

Anyway, the OZ government is sacking hundreds of IT people here so we as a industry need to try and hold on to our jobs, they never cut their own wages or perks which makes it even more of a slap in the face.

Annnnnnnnnd /rant

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:41 PM

JohnnyJammer it isn't any different in the US.  Some employers only look at the hard dollar cost for IT.  IT is a cost center, not a revenue center.  That is until sales and engineering can't do their job because of technical issues.  Then suddenly IT becomes very important.

I highly recommend following Liz Ryan of Human Workplace on LinkedIn.  Her best advice is to not work for someone who doesn't get you.  If a company is treating you poorly you owe them no loyalty, they certainly have none for you.  If a company values you, you will be treated as valued.  If the company doesn't value you, find a company that does.

I'm a firm believer that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.  I make very good money, and I'm very good at what I do.  But, money isn't everything.  If I'm not treated well I'll look for another position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users