Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barbara55

barbara55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

When I sign onto my computer it sometimes brings a blue screen up which says the system is shutting down, (has encountered an error)then shuts down and keeps rebooting. But this doesn't happen all the time, when I am able to get the desk top to come up I click on IE and the page loads ok, but as soon as I try to do anything with it an error message shows up stating the " IE has encountered a problem and needs to close, it also give the option of sending a report or not. When I click on either box, IE shuts down. I just bought the computer a few months ago (a used reconditioned one) it came with Windows XP professional, I went to the microsoft web site and downloaded some security updates onto a floppy and tried to load them on the computer, but now it says that my copy of windows XP is not an original, I never got any paper work with the computer, nor did any disks get sent with it. Its a IBM thinkpad. I hope I didn't confuse too many people, not real computer savvy. Oh yeah by the way I just bought a new mcafee virus scanner and it won't let me load it either. it wont let me do a system restore either. It says its not found

Edited by barbara55, 29 June 2006 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

I hate to break it to you, but it sounds like you got ripped off by someone peddling bad copies of Windows. :thumbsup:

How did you download updates for Windows to a floppy disk? Is that even possible? :flowers:

The only thing I can think of as far as recommendations is to buy a legit copy of XP from Microsoft and do a clean installation (that is, wipe the hard drive before installing).

Anyone else have a better idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users