Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Racagent

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:11 AM

I am trying to disable Racagent.  Several sources say to run taskschd.msc in order to disable it.  When I do so, it says, "mmc could not create the snap-in".  I have tried several other people's solutions to that, but nothiing works for me.  This is a newly installed Vista SP2.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2015 - 10:19 AM.
moved from Vista to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:43 AM

Have you read the Instructions HERE  ?   (Technet.Microsoft.com)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

Like I said, I have read the same thing from other sources, and like I said, when I try to open Task Scheduler, it says, "mmc could not create the snap-in".

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:55 PM

Run this Command...as Administrator... (HERE'S HOW)

Run CMD as administrator. Type the following and hit Enter:

(To Disable:)                  schtasks.exe /change /disable /tn \Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask

In case you need to re enable it....

(To Enable:)               schtasks.exe /change /enable /tn \Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask

If a SUCCESS message is returned, you will have enabled Data Collection for Reliability Monitor.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:10 PM

....and if that does not meet with any success...

Microsoft Fix it

Follow the prompts

OR...

you can elect to fix it manually..

To resolve this behavior, add the %SystemRoot%\System32\WBEM folder to your PATH environment variable. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
  3. Under System Variables double-click the PATH environment variable.
  4. Type:
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    Note If other system variables appear, do not remove them.
  5. Click OK, and then click OK.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:31 AM

Using command prompt as above produced:  "ERROR: The specified task name "\Microsoft\Windows\RAC\RacTask" does not exist in the system."

In the manual fix of the 2nd option, what does the changed path do?  Is it supposed to stop Racagent from running, ....or is it supposed to fix it so Task Scheduler may be opened?

Thanks.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

It is hopefully going to stop the error message you have been receiving....and therefore open the task scheduler as you were originally trying to do

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Okay, thanks...I just needed to know to look for what was going to happen.  After inserting the path variable, opening Task Scheduler still says, "mmc could not create the snap-in".

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

ok. Why was Vista freshly installed ?....what prompted you to do this...?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,041 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

I think it will be wise to follow the steps HERE 

Follow the  Windows 7 or Windows Vista instruction.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

Thank-you, for your response.

1.  Reason for reinstall:  my hard drive started making a horrid noise, which I recognize as an "it's about to fail" noise, so I replaced it.

2. sfc did not find any files to fix.

3. Something that might be related, which has always been for this machine as I can remember:  if I access Event Viewer through Administrative Tools in Control Panel, it also says:  "mmc could not create the snap-in".  If I access Event Viewer from Computer Management, it works.  Like I said, i don't know if this could be related or not.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

You have not posted what you have tried, so I may be making a suggestion you have already tried.

That being said, look at the instructions here to disable the RACAgent.

There isn't a great deal of information regarding disabling this, so if this doesn't work I'm afraid I may not be able to help your any further.

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

Yes, that is the same link as post number 2 above, which I had already tried before posting here.  The thing is, I am unable to actually "try" to disable it because according to the information on that page link, in order to do so, Task Scheduler needs to be opened, and every time I do that it says, "mmc could not create the snap-in".  I need to either fix Task Scheduler so that it can be opened, or have some alternate way of disabling Racagent.  Thanks.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

In order to get a little more information, please do the following.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Please run chkdsk /r, this will repair errors, locate bad sectors and recover readable information.

* click Start

* click All Programs, then Accessories

* right click on the Command Prompt option

* on the drop down menu which appears, click on the Run as Administrator option.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt .

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow

You will see the following message This task will be created with administrative privileges, click on Ok, then press Enter.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box, 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

I am not quite understanding your instructions, so I am gong to make the following presumptions:

"When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan."--following this, I would presume that I should post cbs.log

"To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box,"
"copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enterfindstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"--following these, I would presume that this only applies if I do not know where to find cbs.log.  Further, it produces the result:  "No items match your search.

Should I just post the contents of CBS.log instead?

Edited by ray5450, 17 March 2015 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users