Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

False Security Alert

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RMIngria

RMIngria

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hello there everyone:

I would like to start by saying that I had great results removing SpywareQuake false alarm from my computer using the Roquescanfix program.

However there is still a false alarm that appears periodically in my task bar. It shows up after a while when I work on the computer.

If I click on the yellow icon with an exclaimation point, it goes to the website of PestTrap or Malware Wipe and others.

There is also a problem with Internet explorer that defaults my home page to Syssecurity.com. No matter how many times I try and change this it reverts back.

I have run Norton, PC Registry Fix, SpwCatcher and others with no results.

Please help me as I am losing my grip on this...

Thanks so much,

Robert Ingria

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RMIngria

RMIngria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

I have run SpywareQuake Remover to get rid of the Alert problem. I have not used Pest Alert remover. I did not know that existed.

I do not see anything in the start menu to remove or the program files to manually remove.

The prompt from the alert says that I am infected with OHPE ver 4.12_23, if that helps.

Thanks,

Robert

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hello RMIngria,

Lets try this. You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Please download, install and update Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0. DO NOT perform a scan yet..
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Go here and follow the instructions for using SmitfraudFix. Read "How to create/extract a ZIP File in Win ME/XP/2003".

After using the tool reboot again in "SAFE MODE" and Clean out your Temporary Internet files as follows:
  • Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
  • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
  • On the General tab, click "Delete Files" under Temporary Internet Files.
  • In the Delete Files dialog box, tick the "Delete all offline content check box", and then click "OK".
  • On the General tab, click "Delete Cookies" under Temporary Internet Files, and then click "OK".
  • Click on the Programs tab then click the Reset Web Settings button. Click "Apply" then "OK".
  • Click "OK".
Next Click Start, click Control Panel and then double-click Display. Click on the Desktop tab, then click the Customize Desktop button. Click on the Web tab. Under Web Pages you should see a checked entry called Security info or something similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the Delete button. Click "Ok" then "Apply" and "Ok".

Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

Then scan with Ewido per the instructions you printed out and reboot back to normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users