Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop wont boot with second hard drive installed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nivedl

nivedl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

Any help solving this mysterious (to me) problem would be greatly appreciated. The laptop in question is a Lenovo Z570 running Linux mint (13 at the time of the initial problem, but now running 17.1). The primary hard drive was replaced with a Crucial M550 500gb SSD in the primary HD slot and the optical drive has been replaced with a dock for a second HD (the original 500 GB WD drive). Prior to this problem I have been running this laptop with this configuration without incident for more than a year.

After a hard shut down I found that my laptop would not boot up at all. I get the initial lenovo startup screen and I can use F2 to enter setup, but when I actually tried to boot up the operating system I just get a blank screen. I could boot from a live USB and access both drives as if they were working fine. I found that if I removed the second hard drive the laptop would boot fine. It also boots fine if I put the primary hard drive in the second slot, leaving the primary slot empty, suggesting that it is not something physical about the second HD dock. As a test, I wiped and reformatted both hard drives and reinstalled mint on the SSD. Again it only boots with one drive in place. I also tried replacing the second hard drive with a new, blank 1TB Travelstar drive and, again, it will not boot with the second hard drive installed.

I am completely stumped...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

Have you set the boot order in the BIOS to only try booting from the 1st hard drive?  I wonder if it is ' trying ' to boot from the second drive with no OS and failing.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

I found this on the web:

Thinkpad support:

Check the startup sequence in bios, the extra hard drive, when installed in a 2nd hdd adapter and used in the optical bay of the advanced dock, shows ups as a USB 2.0 device. If the startup sequence has USB devices listed before the primary hard drive, then the machine will hang at post.

To resolve this issue, boot into bios, startup and exclude the Extra hard drive from startup sequence. The machine must be booted on the advanced dock with the 2nd hard drive installed.

#4 nivedl

nivedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

I have checked the boot order, which is fine. I have also tried manually booting from the correct drive using the multiboot menu (F12 on this laptop). This is not the problem. Any other ideas?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Have you tried changing the boot order just to make sure?  What is the current boot order in the bios?  What are the options .. since every bios is a little different can you provide a screenshot or an explanation of what you see?  I still think this is a bios problem.  Since both drives physically work.  After POST the bios hands the booting over to the first device selected in the bios.  What is it right now?

#6 nivedl

nivedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

I agree it seems like a BIOS problem. I just don't know enough to understand where the hang up is. I have attached a few pics of the BIOS menus, including the boot order with and without the second drive in place. I am not exactly sure why I have extra entries for linuxmint and ubuntu in the boot options. I think they were created when I firsted dropped windows and started messing around with linux systems. In any case, those entries were there long before the problem arose...

Any ideas?

#7 nivedl

nivedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Here are the images. The first is with the second drive in place. The second is without (which works). After are a few pics of other BIOS menus.

Boot_Order_with2nd_Drive.jpgBoot_Order_with_Out2nd_Drive.jpgconfiguration.jpginformation.jpg

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

Do you have or plan to use a USB hard drive to boot from or a USB CDROM?

Okay this is the boot order I would use .. Since your running linuxmint:

1. ATAPI CD

2. Linuxmint

3. Ubuntu

4. grub

5. ATA HDD Crucial xxxxxx

6. ATA HDD HGST xxxxx

Remove from the list or 'don't use'

USB CD

USB HDD

PCI LAN

USB FDD

Make sure you don't have a disc in the cdrom drive or the laptop will try to boot from it.

If this does not work then you can put your crucial ATA drive back on number 1 and just move the rest down.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 13 March 2015 - 04:07 PM.

#9 nivedl

nivedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

The problem does not seem to be a BIOS boot order issue. I have rearranged with no change in behaviour. I also tried a hard BIOS reset by removing the COSM battery for 30 min. No change in behaviour. Still a mystery. Any other ideas?

#10 nivedl

nivedl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

I also just installed linux to the second hard drive. Now I can boot from either hard drive when they are installed alone (in either slot) but neither if they are both in place at the same time. This is driving me crazy...

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

What happens when you take the SSD out of the equation and use both HDD's? Does the computer boot? Have you tried the boot order where the HDD is first and the SSD is second?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users