Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not reboot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 judy boyd

judy boyd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

hello, i need some help with a Windows 7 laptop that's been acting strangely.

the laptop has just sporadically shut down on its own; it would notify me that it wasn't shut down properly, and would ask to be restarted.  this problem has been going on for several years.

then recently, after a Windows update along with Avast, the computer could not be rebooted as necessary for the changes to take place without removing the battery and the power supply and holding down the power button for the count of 4 seconds.   any attempts to reboot would necessitate that action.

today, i used a restore point from Feb. 24, right before the mass updating that seemed to cause the last issue, and the laptop rebooted successfully after the restore point was used.

obviously, something is wrong somewhere and i was told by a family friend to bring it to you guys for help in discovering what the underlying issue is.

thanks in advance for any help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:38 AM

Please post full system specs, also can you get into "Safe Mode"?  Safe Mode can be accessed by repeatedly taping F8 as it tries to start.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:06 AM

Just check the power supply, hard disk, fan, memory cards, adaptor and all. And boot it in safe mode.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

I agree with OldPhil, you should try booting into Safe Mode.

Withe the computer off, press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key until you see an image like the one below.  This is the Advanced Boot Options.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

When you see this screen use the up or down key to navigate the pointer over Safe Mode, then press the Enter key to choose this option.

When the power button is pressed, do LEDs turn on?

Can you hear the fan or feel it blowing out of the side vents?

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Usually if a computer doesn't boot into Windows, pressing the power button will immediately shut down the computer.  Because you are having to hold the power button down to force a hard shut down I have to wonder if it is actually booting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

tried the safe mode and it seems to reboot now i will see if i stays fixed for now make and model is toshiba satelite with windows 7

Edited by judy boyd, 14 March 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

Judy, this is not a fix.  Safe Mode is more of a diagnostic tool.  It has a limited number of applications and drivers, if the computer will boot into Windows and operate without the problem recurring this usually is an indication that a Service, Startup item, or a driver may be the cause.  If this is the case you can run a Clean Boot to see if you can find the culprit.  If the computer start properly in Safe Mode, let me know and I will post instructions for doing the Clean Boot. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

Judy, this is not a fix.  Safe Mode is more of a diagnostic tool.  It has a limited number of applications and drivers, if the computer will boot into Windows and operate without the problem recurring this usually is an indication that a Service, Startup item, or a driver may be the cause.  If this is the case you can run a Clean Boot to see if you can find the culprit.  If the computer start properly in Safe Mode, let me know and I will post instructions for doing the Clean Boot. 

the computer does start properly in safe mode now

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

? Does it work correctly in a normal start up, there are reasons that you had an issue that should be checked into.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, by disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmes If the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

When you are finished using the Clean Boot go back to System Configuration and click on the General, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

#10 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:15 PM

? Does it work correctly in a normal start up, there are reasons that you had an issue that should be checked into.

yes it does work now on normal start up what other reasons could it be that this happened?

#11 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

yes it does work now on normal start up what other reasons could it be that this happened?

please let me know what i need to check into please

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,540 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

Next time this issue happens, you could try power cycling your laptop. To sum it up, remove your battery and unplug the charger from the laptop, then press the power button and maintain it pressed for 30 seconds. Once done, plug in only the charger and boot the laptop normally. Then shut it down again, remove the charge, put back the battery and it should work just fine.

Right now, what is your current issue?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#13 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

Next time this issue happens, you could try power cycling your laptop. To sum it up, remove your battery and unplug the charger from the laptop, then press the power button and maintain it pressed for 30 seconds. Once done, plug in only the charger and boot the laptop normally. Then shut it down again, remove the charge, put back the battery and it should work just fine.

i am concerned with why this happened in the first place and how to prevent it from happening again do you know why it would do this in the first place virus maleware or on its way to the screen of death?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,540 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

There's way too many possibilities to enumerate them all. Because it only happened once, and randomly, I cannot say exactly what caused it. It could be a failing driver, overheating, program that crashed the system, etc. If you think that you are infected with a malware, you can ask for a free check-up here on BleepingComputer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#15 judy boyd

judy boyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

There's way too many possibilities to enumerate them all. Because it only happened once, and randomly, I cannot say exactly what caused it. It could be a failing driver, overheating, program that crashed the system, etc. If you think that you are infected with a malware, you can ask for a free check-up here on BleepingComputer.

ok so how do we check for maleware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users