Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Malwarebytes and Bitdefender

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

A few weeks ago I installed Bitdefender Total Security on a laptop, but I had to uninstall my Premium Malwarebytes because they say there are conflicts running them both. Is anyone successfully running them both? I like Malwarebytes--it's been good. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

Some vendors will say that when the reality is they only want you to use and rely on their software.

Conflicts typically occur when installation two anti-virus products but Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program.
See the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Malwarebytes "is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild"...This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,781 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi jackz4000 :)

When did you read that? During the installation of Bitdefender, or was it after it was installed and it thrown you a message saying that as a pop-up?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Bitdefender's EULA says...

During the installation process, the Bitdefender Product may uninstall or disable other security products if such products or features are incompatible with Bitdefender Product.

Members at the Bitdefender forum have confirmed that it will uninstall Malwarebytes so you have to install or reninstall afterwards.

Members of the Technical Support Group also advise folks they do not recommend using two security solution on the same device because you might encounter performance issues. Some specifically mention Malwarebytes by name and tell folks not to use it.

This is the official reply they link to...even though it is dated July 2012.

Bitdefender Support

I now have a final answer for you: you can use now use MBAM near Bitdefender 2013 and only near this product. The older versions are not compatible.

Also there is one more condition for this: you can use only the FREE version(the one that doesn't have the protection turned on).

Our beta testers reported some situations when both products were detecting the same file and this can cause slowdowns or crashes.

Also, please note that MBAM offers by default in all installation kits a 14 days trial period, so be careful and choose Decline when prompted.

Christian, Root Admin, Post #7
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

That's an odd one - I'd just assume that Malwarebytes is compatible with all AVs regardless of free or Premium.

Looks like I'll have to watch out for that then.

Alex

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

It is compatible but as the MBAM staff have indicated in some rare cases, you must add exclusions for both the anti-virus and Malwarebytes in their respective exclusions list. Norton is another product which wants to remove Malwarebytes...more out of convenience to avoid any possible conflicts during installation.

BTW, Malwarebytes has been conducting AV Compatibility Testing for years.

AV-Testing-Report-May-2013-copy.jpg
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#7 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:53 AM

I am successfully running both 2015 Bitdefender Total Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (MBAM), plus Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, on two Windows 7 x64 computers for about a year now.  It is wise to uninstall MBAM, using the MBAM_Clean tool, during installations and re-installations of any anti-virus software.  It is also helpful to disable active virus scanning in your a/v app during version upgrades of MBAM.  I have also added the exceptions to both BD and MBAM so that they are aware of each other.  I have not had any issues whatsoever, and I have assisted other folks who are running Bitdefender Internet Security and they also have not encountered any problems.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

... It is wise to uninstall MBAM, using the MBAM_Clean tool, during installations and re-installations of any anti-virus software. ...

That may be necessary if using Bitdefender or Norton but it's not the case for all anti-virus products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#9 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, upon Bitdefender install I had no choice but to uninstall MBAM Premium. I had heard I could only use the Free version and could install it later, but not the Premium version which is Live protection. Interesting to read garioche7 that you have a way to make it work without problems  :) . I'll have to explore how to use the Exceptions. 

"It is also helpful to disable active virus scanning in your a/v app during version upgrades of MBAM.  I have also added the exceptions to both BD and MBAM so that they are aware of each other." garioche7

garioche7:  Should I also disable Bitdefender when MBAM updates? And disable MBAM when Bitdefender updates? 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,781 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

If you add exceptions on Bitdefender for Malwarebytes, and if you add an exception on Malwarebytes for Bitdefender, you shouldn't have to disable any of them. You can add exceptions for programs, files, folders, processes, etc.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#11 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

According to the Malwarebytes Forum gurus, it is not "necessary" to add exceptions, but it is considered "proactive."  In my case, I have added the following MBAM files, under "Excluded Processes" (Antivirus Settings) to Bitdefender: mbam.exe, mbamservice.exe, mbampt.exe, mbamdor.exe, and mbamscheduler.exe.  This is the list of files recommended often on the MBAM Forum.  I have also added the Bitdefender folder to MBAM as excluded from scanning.

Usual updates to both Bitdefender and MBAM do not require any action on your part to prevent conflicts, at least in my experience, with my setup.  When MBAM issues a new major release, requiring the older version to be uninstalled or updated, then disabling BD active scanning is recommended.  Similarly, when BD issues a new version and should you decide to replace it, MBAM should be removed with the MBAM_CLEAN tool, then the older version of BD uninstalled or updated, then MBAM is re-installed and, of course, I add the exceptions to both programs.  Major new releases are not that frequent: with MBAM there are only a couple of so a year, and BD only issues new versions on an annual basis.

Hope this is of some help.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

These are typically the files in various operating systems which can be added to your anti-virus exclusion list when experiencing issues using the Pro version of Malwarebytes.

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7/8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7/8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#13 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

The files that I listed for exclusion are those that are recommended in the Malwarebytes Forum for the current version of MBAM (2.0.4.1028).  I may very well be mistaken, but to my limited knowledge, mbamswissarmy.sys was used by an earlier version of MBAM, possibly 1.75.  It definitely does not exist on my computers.

Regardless, I have not had any issues with MBAM and BDTS existing peacefully on my two computers, and on the computers of friends, with just the five MBAM executables listed as excepted processes in BDTS.  In fact, as pointed out, it is not NECESSARY, except if there are issues, to add those files to BDTS as excluded processes, unless the user is experiencing issues with MBAM and BDTS coexisting peacefully, although it is considered "proactive" to do so.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:54 AM

That is a list of typical files for both versions provided at the Malwarebytes forum...you just exclude whatever files you have for the version you are using if you encounter any issues with any anti-virus, not just Bitdefender. I already indicated MBAB is compatible with Bitdender but in rare cases exclusions may have to be added.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#15 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

WOW! Thanks so much. So happy I don't have to give up my MBAB Premium. Got a Lifetime license too. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and thank you again. I thought people here would know best and...yes.

I tried registering at the BD Forum many times to find out, but I would never get a Verify email and can't find the admins email. 

I'll make a list of the recommended exceptions provided and hopefully have MBAB back in a few days or so.  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users