Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys E2500 Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CinnamonChex

CinnamonChex

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

My router has been giving me troubles since last night. Me and my friend were going to play some LAN games, but it kept disconnecting us from the network. It would sometimes disappear from the networks temporarily, but sometimes it would still be there but it would say it was unable to connect to. I have rebooted the device multiple times, and even factory reset it to see if it would work. I'm not sure if it has to do something with overheating because my room is not that hot. It never did this to me a couple days ago and now it is just not wanting to work. Help would be appreciated  B)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

How old is it? what hardware version? what is the firmware version does it have?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 CinnamonChex

CinnamonChex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:34 PM

It is only 2 years old, and the firmware version is 1.0.03.

#4 CinnamonChex

CinnamonChex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:17 PM

Anybody have a solution?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

You can see if there is a firmware update on their site. You didn't tell me what hardware version you have so I can't see. If there is, try to update it.

Did you reset it with the button or inside the GUI of the router?

I forgot to ask how you were both connected? wired? wireless?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 CinnamonChex

CinnamonChex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

I think I got my router working. Apparently my power cable was messed up so I replaced it and it works. Thanks for your time!

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

I will add that to my list of things to ask people to check. lol

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

Just so happens, I had success in keeping my last router going another year by changing the PSU. It was always hot, maybe it wasn't the one that shipped with it, don't know. 

However it's a Linksys WRT-160N, and installing one from a Netgear that I no longer has did the trick, it had half again more amps at 1.5, the old was 1.0. The voltage was the same at 12. 

Have since replaced the unit with a Linksys N900 (EA4500), it was their highest rated 'N' series, just below their 'AC' models, but with all of the speed I'll ever need, and dual band also. My only regrets, and this will only show in the future, it has a single core 1GHz CPU, the next level up (the AC) has a dual band 800MHz CPU. Didn't realize that routers had dual core CPU's until after the purchase, if I did, would have spent the extra $10, even though there would be no other benefit. Just because one has an AC router doesn't mean ISP speeds will increase. Only if the customer isn't getting those speeds will that matter, and in this area, I don't know of anyone who'll benefit from AC speeds. Maybe range or other router features. 

At any rate, if it lasts 5 years, will be a happy camper. The WRT-160N lasted longer than that, under heavy use & I have no idea of it's CPU size. 

The only negative about the Linksys E2500 that I can think of, is it's age, if placed in service at time of model release. New ones are still available, so only time will tell. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users