Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The leaf certificate

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hey guys,

Windows Server 2011 SBS Standard

I'm getting this warning on my server flagged as critical. It says "The leaf certificate is expiring" under title and under source it says "Networking - Certificate"  I can't find any information specifically about the "leaf certificate" online anywhere and I really have no idea to which it's referring so I can have it renewed.

We're going to be migrating the server to new hardware soon and from my understanding, this error has to be resolved before the migration can take place.  I've renewed a few of the expiring self-issued certificates for Exchange 2010 prior to this error coming up, but the dates are for 2 and 3 years into the future.

So, what is the leaf certificate and should I be worried about this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

A leaf certificate is an SSL certificate that is valid for multiple domain names, and I believe it is used by applications like Lync and OWA. If you can locate the existing certificate in the certificates management console, have a look to see who issued it and renew it -- depending on who issued it, it may autorenew and then you won't have to do anything as the warning is just for informational purposes. Otherwise, you'll have to purchase a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users