Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHANGING EXTENSIONS ON DOWNLOADED VIDEOS.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

AFTER MUCH RESEARCH I HAVE FOUND THAT I MUST BUY A PROGRAM TO CHANGE THE EXTENSIONS ON MY DOWNLOADED VIDEOS (MOSTLY FROM YOUTUBE) THEY ARE MPEG4, WHAT IS A GOOD, INEXPENSIVE PROGRAM? THANK YOU

JANN

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2015 - 06:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Audio/Video Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CinnamonChex

CinnamonChex

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Try using handbrake to convert it.

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

I personally prefer Handbrake. It is the only free vid converter I know of that has the ability to increase the audio gain while converting. The downside is that there are only 2 choices for the end file, .mkv or .mp4.

Here are some other free converters, with reviews:

Best free video converter: 12 on test

Check this site every day. They offer paid software for free, provided by the companies themselves. Each offer is good for 24 hours, and video converters show up regularly.

Giveaway of the Day
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

You do not want to change the extension, merely changing the extension will do nothing for you. What you want to do is change the format. This will change the extension as a consequence of converting from one file format to another but it will also do many other things to make the file playable in the format you are converting to. VLC can convert videos between formats but it is tricky to do this and often involves trial and error, it's a great program for playing videos but for converting them it's not perfect, if you already have it though i would suggest trying to use it to perform the conversion before going hunting for other software to perform this task with. Another tip i would give you is that mpeg4 is a good video format(certainly better than mkv), if you wish to convert these videos just because your current media player doesn't like mpeg4 then i would suggest just playing them in vlc instead. If you wish to convert them because you want to bring them into a video editing program which won't accept mpeg4 inputs then i can see why you would need to convert the files. VLC is free.

Edited by rp88, 13 March 2015 - 02:37 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

Hoo Tech has a video conversion utility and an audio conversion utility.  Full OPs come only by pay-for [pay once, use it for life]. I've used them both from time to time -- unless one is a good music major, cannot tell quality difference between conversions.  Also have Cyberlink stuff [again, more pay for].

Edited by RolandJS, 13 March 2015 - 03:19 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

You do not want to change the extension, merely changing the extension will do nothing for you. What you want to do is change the format. This will change the extension as a consequence of converting from one file format to another but it will also do many other things to make the file playable in the format you are converting to. VLC can convert videos between formats but it is tricky to do this and often involves trial and error, it's a great program for playing videos but for converting them it's not perfect, if you already have it though i would suggest trying to use it to perform the conversion before going hunting for other software to perform this task with. Another tip i would give you is that mpeg4 is a good video format(certainly better than mkv), if you wish to convert these videos just because your current media player doesn't like mpeg4 then i would suggest just playing them in vlc instead. If you wish to convert them because you want to bring them into a video editing program which won't accept mpeg4 inputs then i can see why you would need to convert the files. VLC is free.

This is all very true. Changing the extensions will accomplish nothing, you must re-encode your video.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

ReReading OP first post gave me the impression by his use of "changing" and "program" --  he meant conversion   :)

I change [convert] my video downloads all the time -- from mp4 video into mp3 audio via Hoo Tech or Cyberlink.

If OP wants simplicity -- go with Hoo Tech's audio and video conversion utilities.

Edited by RolandJS, 15 March 2015 - 12:39 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:58 AM

What format do you need it in?

Video files are a video-stream, an audio-stream, and a container file to hold them. For example MPEG-4 is a video codec, video streams can be encoded in MPEG-4. Video streams can only be put into containers that support that codec type. So for example MPEG-4 often gets put into an MP4 container (eg: video.mp4).

MPEG-4 can be transfered into several different containers (AVI, MP4, MKV) without re-encoding it (this means no quality will be lost). You can do this using tools like ffmpeg which is NOT user friendly or easy to use. Alternatively you can re-encode video into different codecs like H.264, Windows Media Video, MPEG2 and various containers like AVI, WMV, WebM, MKV, FLV using tools like DVDVideoSoft Free MP4 Video Converter. This will result in quality loss, but allows you to use a wider range of codecs and containers.

Personally I store most of my video in Matroska cointainers (MKV), and use H.264 video codec. I've also started using H.265 in some cases, but it requires a powerful machine to take advantage of it. I use HandBrake for most of my conversions, but it only supports MPEG-4 and Matroska containers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users