Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Desktop for the family

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hawker2468

Hawker2468

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

My budget for the new computer is: under $800 but would only want to spend on what is needed.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, kids play Minecraft, I will download some programs

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Word, Excel, Adobe

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Minecraft

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  Do not have lots of programs running, I think

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Pictures yes

Will you be overclocking? What is this?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Connecticut

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1 or 2

Do you need peripherals? OS? Windows 7 preferrably (i dont think I'm interested in Windows 8, too much negative feedback)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I have a Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hello do you prefer Intel or AMD systems .. do you prefer oem type like Dell or from an outlet like magicmicro or buy.com ?  Do you have your own copy of Word/Excel or will you need to purchase that also?  I'll tell you right away I prefer Intel systems for a gaming rig but you pay a little more for a good ' gaming system ' I configured one at magicmicro for around 1100.  The problem with minecraft is that the game itself doesn't require a good video card but after you download all the ' addons ' that make it look ' pretty ' you need a discreet video card which increases the price a bit since the on the motherboard video just doesn't cut it.  (my son plays minecraft also though I'll never know why)  Hope this helps~

#3 Hawker2468

Hawker2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hello do you prefer Intel or AMD systems .. do you prefer oem type like Dell or from an outlet like magicmicro or buy.com ?  Do you have your own copy of Word/Excel or will you need to purchase that also?  I'll tell you right away I prefer Intel systems for a gaming rig but you pay a little more for a good ' gaming system ' I configured one at magicmicro for around 1100.  The problem with minecraft is that the game itself doesn't require a good video card but after you download all the ' addons ' that make it look ' pretty ' you need a discreet video card which increases the price a bit since the on the motherboard video just doesn't cut it.  (my son plays minecraft also though I'll never know why)  Hope this helps~

Im not a computer expert so Intel or AMD is fine with me

also dont care who the manufaturer is, but I do hate all the extra software loaded in the computer that I never use

I will need to purchase Word/Excel

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

Okay well I have configured this AMD system here (to keep the price down) That should be everything you need for your system.  I did not ask before.. do you need a monitor because that will be extra.  Also. Do you use Outlook? That is offices' mail program if you do not use outlook you can get away with buying office home and student.  Keep in mind the price includes office and windows 7.  Which are 100 each so the system itself is 750.00

From MagicMicro with these options cost 950.00

AMD FX-6350 Vishera 3.9Ghz

AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe

MSI 760 GM- P34 FX AM3+ 760G Onboard video DVI GB Lan

8GB (2x4GB) PC10600 DDR 3 1333 dual Channel Memory

GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB PCI Express 16x dual Head HDMI

1TB Western Digital Green SATA3 6GB/s 64m Cache

LG 24x SATA DVD Recorder

Apevia Sniper 2 Black and Red Front USB 3.0 (you can pick and choose a different case if you prefer one over another)

Cooler Master 500W Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply

Standard Keyboard

Standard Mouse

Speakers

Winows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Microsoft Office Home / Student

How's that for you?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 12 March 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Hawker2468

Hawker2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

YeahBleeping...Thanks so much for helping me, I really appreciate it. I have some questions:

The link says $589...Is there something missing?

Also the description says "High performance with the hottest technology for extreme gaming, digital video editing, and audio production."

I'm fine with spending money on whatever I need, my question is do I need this? The kids play Minecraft, it doesn't appear to be extreme, but I'm almost clueless when it comes to computers. The only reason I mention this is because I know I will need to replace the computer in less than 5 years.

This is my Purchase Template:

Efficient computer for the family that works for more than 3 years

Turn it on and use it in a reasonable amount of time

Fast when using it, or at least somewhat fast

No nonsense that requires the user to be an IT person

No pop up windows that require me to stop what I'm doing to read it and try to figure out what it means. (which I can never figure out, so I click until it goes away)

Download a program without getting a headache

Click on "print" and the document prints everytime

Updates and Anti Virus protection is all taken care of behind the scenes

Is there such a thing? If so what is the cost?

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:19 PM

The magicmicro site doesn't have an ability for me to link any options that I changed. Which is why I listed all the options that I changed.

Yes the base model will probably work fine for you I was just trying to future proof it with a few ' better ' options while staying around your suggested price point.  Will the base model be okay with no changed options?  Sure !

I have a tendency to ' this is what you really want ' in my approach to building a ' gaming computer '

That I don't want you to have to spend another 800+ dollars in 3 years.  So.  Yes the base model with no options changed will work just fine and play minecraft.  However I really suggest getting the better video card.  As for bang for the buck you shouldn't have any problems with your kids playing minecraft or any other current game for that matter.

#7 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

My budget for the new computer is: under $800 but would only want to spend on what is needed.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, kids play Minecraft, I will download some programs

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Word, Excel, Adobe

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Minecraft

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  Do not have lots of programs running, I think

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Pictures yes

Will you be overclocking? What is this?

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Connecticut

How many monitors are you planning to use? 1 or 2

Do you need peripherals? OS? Windows 7 preferrably (i dont think I'm interested in Windows 8, too much negative feedback)

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? I have a Windows XP

Hawker,

I do NOT recommend getting a computer from a store!! 

Most computer manufacturers will install inferior computer components inside their computers. 

You are better off building a new computer. You will get a far better deal for your money with my recommended build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $798.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 09:05 EDT-0400

Serpius

#8 Hawker2468

Hawker2468
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:31 AM

I have never built a computer, but based on my occupation and a set of instructions I will be okay. Where can I find a good set of instructions to build my own computer?

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

I have never built a computer, but based on my occupation and a set of instructions I will be okay. Where can I find a good set of instructions to build my own computer?

Hawker,

It's not complicated and if you do things one step at a time, you will do just fine.

The most important thing that most people ignore is the danger of electrical static discharge (ESD), the kind you get when you walk across the carpet and touch someone. That is the kind that will render most computer components to be "dead on arrival".

How to build a computer Part One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

How to build a computer Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

How to build a computer Part Three

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Even though the videos are around 2 years old, all of the basics are still relevant today.

If you have any questions, please reply in this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users