Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq d530 CMT: Turning it into a gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

Currently, I have a stock HP Compaq d530 CMT With Windows Server 2003 installed on it (gonna install Windows 7). I plan on replacing the motherboard so I can install a better CPU and Graphics. I already have an AGP and PCI-E x16 Graphics card. The price of the mobo and CPU should be around 150 dollars, but I can go over.

Here's a possible list:

Mobo: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-DDR3-Micro-Motherboard-GA-78LMT-USB3/dp/B009FC3YJ8/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1426178428&sr=1-2&keywords=motherboard

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD6300WMHKBOX-FX-6300-6-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426179008&sr=1-1&keywords=am3%2B+cpu

Probably will need a PSU reccomendation as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 db336

db336

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

AGP is antiquated. What pci video card do you have? That computer is so old you are better off just buying all new parts. Nothing from that computer is compatible with this motherboard. I can help you design a budget friendly gaming computer if you want. It'll be able to handle most games.

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

Honestly, I was just gonna use the computer for the case. Would it be better to use a standalone case? I'd rather not spend an extra 20 dollars for a case when I can reuse one.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

Until my last build (last year) I had reused my case three times.  I don't see any reason not to reuse one if it will accommodate what you wish to install.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

If you want to use your old case, dc3 is totally correct; I have reused my Apevia X-Dreamer three times also.

I am trying to remember some of the problems I have had when replacing new parts on an old case, some things come to mind:

> Your old case probably does not have front USB3 ports. USB2 will probably be gone within a couple of years.

> Make sure that any new mainboard features that are supposed to hookup to the front panel of the old case will have proper leads and sockets to receive them.

> If you are going to want to game, study the ventilation setup of your old HP case, and the options of added case fans. What if you want to add liquid cooling down the road? Will there be clearance? What if you want a 120mm fan but there are no 120mm openings & mountings?

>Make sure the power supply mountings & screw holes will match your case, and if the PS you want to use will even fit in the mounting area.

The problem with these retail cases is that they were engineered strictly for the mass-produced custom made components that were to go in to them; sometimes the newer components don't fit and you must mod or be imaginative in installing. HP, Dell and Acer don't care about upgrading, just selling what they have at the lowest construction cost.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:52 PM

I think it would be better to just get a new case, since I may want to use an aftermarket cooler.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I think it would be better to just get a new case, since I may want to use an aftermarket cooler.

Well... you have what little input we supplied, and you know your options.  Best of luck. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users