Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many processors/Cores do I have?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bc1sjw

bc1sjw

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Fairly straight forward question probably, but I'm a bit confused by the differing results I get form Task Manager & CMD prompt.

According to Task Manager I have 10 dual core processors (I think), but CMD prompt only shows 10 cores total.

Can anyone advise? How many cores & processors do I have?

Attached File  CMD.JPG   35.74KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Task Manager.JPG   77.64KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hi bc1sjw :)

If I remember correctly, this is how Intel CPUs that have a special feature called "multithreading" (I think) works. In fact, it's a technology that allows each core to function as two cores. So for every core you have, you have another emulated core. So yes, your CPU indeed have 10 cores, but because each one emulates an extra one, you end up with 20 cores in the Task Manager. The information shown in the command prompt is the actual number of real core inside your CPU, while the one showing in the Task Manager is the number of total cores (physical and virtual) your CPU can and use.

Hopefully that answers your question.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 bc1sjw

bc1sjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

Ok, that does make some sense.........

So CMD shows I have 10 processors, 10 cores.

So physically I have 10 single core processors?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

Physically you only have 10 cores, yes. See the number of "logical cores", just below? You have 10. These are the 10 emulated cores by your 10 real cores. One logical core by one physical core. So 10 physical cores gives 10 logical cores, which means 20 cores in total.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 bc1sjw

bc1sjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the response.

So I have 10 cores....how many processors do I have? Is this also 10? (10 x1)?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

A processor have cores. So you have one processor with 10 physical cores that can emulate 10 logical cores.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19225859/difference-between-core-and-processor

unite_blue.png

#7 bc1sjw

bc1sjw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:35 AM

Ok, thanks.

I never noticed until looking into Computer Properties, but it states I have the following:

Intel Xeon CPU E5-2690 v2@3.00GHz 2.99 GHz (2 Processors)

So I guess this means I Physically have Two CPU's, each CPU has 5 cores each?

Edited by bc1sjw, 12 March 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

That looks about right to me. Ten cores for one processor would be a lot, so five each makes sense.

Here: http://ark.intel.com/products/75279/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2690-v2-25M-Cache-3_00-GHz

Edited by Aura., 12 March 2015 - 09:45 AM.

unite_blue.png

#9 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

It is actually a 10-core processor. Hyper-Threading makes it appear to be a 20-core CPU to the OS and applications.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon%20E5-2690%20v2.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users