Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Registration Change?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tupenix

tupenix

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:36 AM

I have this problem with Win Defender,
When i reboot my computer, Win Def gives this warning in a popup ballon from the system tray.
"An application registration change was made to C:\program files\windows defender\mpcmd run.exe"
When i click on the balloon it just disappears,but Win Def does not open as is normally the case with other warnings.
What does this mean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

open WD and read the info and then decide to allow or deny the change. Clicking the X in the balloon only closes the balloon.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

tried that but when Win def opens there is nothing there. The "history" section is also empty.
I'm sure that when other warnings have come up,clicking on the balloon opens Win Def to allow/disallow the changes.

Edited by tupenix, 29 June 2006 - 12:34 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:00 AM

You are correct. WD sent updates to me this AM and I only clicked on the balloon and the update window opened. If you are still getting this alert, probably the easiest fix would be to reinstall. Back several months ago when I installed WD it said it was free until July. I haven't heard if that is still true. I have decided to switch to Spyware Doctor rather than pay for WD.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tupenix

tupenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Is Spyware Doctor better?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

It would take a lot of testing by someone much more skilled than myself to determine that. It is my understanding from reading info on both that they pretty much do the same thing as far as monitoring goes. The free version will monitor and keep malware off your comp the same way WD does but while it will identify malware during a scan it want remove what is already on your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users