Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I mirror monitors on Vista?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:51 AM

I have 64 bit Vista and an nvidia graphics card. I can't find any way to mirror (clone) my two monitors!

I need help to solve this mystery

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hello Bludshot,

In the NVIDIA control panel, go to the multiple display set up area.  If you 'right-click' on the second display, there should be  a "clone" option.  (note: it may be the primary monitor you need to right click on. Sorry for the uncertainty.)

I hope this works for you.

Edited by MarkMCS, 16 March 2015 - 03:39 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:25 PM

As far as I can see, there is no NVIDIA control panel for Vista 64 bit :smash:

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Have you tried to right click on the desktop for access to "graphics properties"  or in control panel (classic view) from the start menu there should be an NVIDIA icon to access your graphics settings.

If you can't bring it up either way, you will need to download the driver from NVIDIA. I did some checking and the driver packages for vista 64bit will install the control panel, depending on your card.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us   I would be happy to double check before you download any drivers if you are unsure. Just give me your system details and I will look around as well before you commit to installing anything. Let me know how it turns out.

Edited by MarkMCS, 16 March 2015 - 08:17 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Ah, oops. I got confused by previous issues I had a long time ago. It's nview that isn't available, not the nvidia control panel. But I was thinking they were the same thing and also I didn't notice the nvidia control panel because you can't get to it from Display Settings. It's in the control panel (like you said) and in the desktop right click menu, but much higher up in the menu where I didn't notice it (due to other apps I have).

Now I have a new problem: in nvidia control panel, under "Set up multiple displays" if I right click on either monitor and click clone, then it changes the preview picture to show 1 screen with 1a 1b or 2a 2b (depending on which one i did) and then I click Apply. Nothing happens, the monitors don't change and then the picture (and settings) revert by themselves back into showing 2 screens (1 and 2). Then if you close the control panel, you get a "wait" circle (hourglass thing) forever on the desktop and you can't get the desktop right click menu anymore or open the nvidia control panel from control panel, until you reboot.

#6 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

It definitely shouldn't hang like that, and since it won't take, I would recheck your other settings and cable locations. Could you post a screenshot?  In the meantime, I will look around as well. Perhaps it's just a setting and not outdated drivers. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 17 March 2015 - 11:03 PM.

#7 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

You have one monitor set as primary, and you are setting clone on the other, right? Which card do you have installed?  You have me curious as well what the problem is. You can always reinstall the drivers from the site I posted above, but as a rule I don't update drivers unless necessary.  

Edited by MarkMCS, 17 March 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#8 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:08 AM

Yeah one is set as primary and I try to set clone on the other one (I tried the other way too). GTS 450. I have the right drivers installed from nvidia. I think it might have something to do with the monitors having different resolutions, although I tried to lower them both to the same setting beforehand and stuff too, so I dunno why it's doing this.

#9 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

When you mirror monitors, the resolution will be the same,  But I thought the secondary monitor would just default to the resolution of the primary if it's lower.  (maybe the refresh rate has to match as well?). Did you check and match your monitor settings both in Vista's display settings and the NVIDIA control panel, and maybe even switch the monitor cable locations? 

I'm just thinking out loud at this point, and I'm sorry I haven't been more help.  If I find any more information, I will let you know, but please post if you get it going.   

Edited by MarkMCS, 18 March 2015 - 04:00 AM.

#10 bludshot

bludshot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

Yeah, matched things up, it just doesn't want to work. When I go to clone them and apply, it just immediately reverts the settings (preview image) and nothing changes about the monitors (the 2nd one remains as an 'extended' monitor). Really should be no issue with the monitor cables right. I can use both monitors in extended mode no problem.

Not only does the desktop right click menu become unavailable with the spinning wait cursor, but I can't even click on any of the files on the desktop. Explorer.exe does not hang or run high cpu though, and does not white out the screen. Task bar and start menu continue to work fine.

#11 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

I have seen a couple of times where a bad cable would allow one configuration and not another, so if you have access to extra DVI cables, you could at least rule that out.

Your card has 2 way SLI (allowing 2 cards to link for performance).  Be sure this is disabled.  I came across a post where the person had a cloning issue with it turned on.

If I were still having a problem at this point, I would check the monitor drivers, reinstall the card drivers, and try again.

Please let me know when you get this worked out, Bludshot.  Hopefully someone will pickup on this thread with more suggestions.

Mark.

Edited by MarkMCS, 19 March 2015 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users