Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 cookies67

cookies67

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

There are a couple of websites that I go to that will freeze up.On the top it says "A plug-in(shockwave flash) isn't responding stop plug-in.Then it says "Shockwave flash has crashed-reload.Is there a way to resolve that?It is irritating.I search with Google Chrome.I am a major novice when it comes to computers so make it simple please.

Edited by cookies67, 11 March 2015 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Hi cookies67 :)

The easiest solution here would be to reinstall Google Chrome and see if it keeps on crashing. Let's see if there's another program/plugin/extension interfering with the Shockwave Flash one that could make it crash.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

Any new Adobe Flash Player updates are included as part of Chrome's update process. Make sure Chrome is up-to-date.

Edited by Phantom010, 12 March 2015 - 02:54 PM.

#4 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

I updated the Adobe flash player.Maybe that will work...thanks hat.gif

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Let us know how it goes. :)

#6 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Let us know how it goes. :)

I will.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:19 PM

Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Shockwave Player aren't the same thing but let's see how it plays out.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Hi Cookies,

I just dealt with the same issue myself!  First, as suggested above, make sure you have the newest version of Chrome installed. Click on the 3 little lines in the upper right corner of your screen and then go down and click "about Google Chrome".  It will automatically check for updates when you do that. If it does an update, you will need to close and reopen your browser.  Chrome has flash player built in, so if you have a downloaded version of flashplayer as well, you wind up with extra plugins, which causes a problem.  DON'T PANIC! THIS IS A SIMPLE CHECK AND A SIMPLE FIX (Hopefully it will work for you too!) Go to the address bar at the top and type <  about:plugins  > and hit return. Then go to the upper right corner of the plugin window and click 'details' to open up all the listings. Now scroll down to 'Adobe Flash Player'. it probably says (2 files) next to it.  Is this the case?? If so, then this is what you do... click on the word Disable that is directly under the letters "NPAPI".  (USUALLY THE SECOND LISTING) ONLY CLICK THAT ONE!! That area should be greyed out now and the word should say "enable". The first Adobe flash player file (Shockwave Flash also) should still be readable. You need to close and reopen your browser for it to take effect. If this doesn't solve your problem, I would need more information. There may be another conflict. Hope this helps.

Adobe Flash Player (2 files) Version: 17.0.0.134
Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
Version: 17.0.0.134
Location: C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\41.0.2272.89\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash .swf application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player .spl
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
Version: 16,0,0,305
Location: C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_16_0_0_305.dll
Type: NPAPI
MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie .swf application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie .spl

Edited by MarkMCS, 13 March 2015 - 07:48 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#9 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Mark.So far I am not having anymore problems.

#10 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hello again, 

I would like to add for anyone still having problems with Flashplayer plugin crashes, that you may need to do a little trial and error on problem websites by disabling one or the other to see which works best for you.

Adobe recommends you leave their embedded plugin enabled, but It was still crashing. Since I disabled it and enabled the installed version, Chrome has been behaving!  Also, if you have "Shockwave Player" installed on your computer in addition to Flash player, there will be a third plugin down the list that may also be causing a problem. 

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

I personally never had any issues with Google Chrome and it's built-in Flash Player/Shockwave Player when I have both of these installed on my system for the other browsers. Sometimes, simply updating or reinstalling Google Chrome is the way to go since once the installation is damaged/corrupt, there's a chance that all the plugins will be as well.

unite_blue.png

#12 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:57 AM

I personally never had any issues with Google Chrome and it's built-in Flash Player/Shockwave Player when I have both of these installed on my system for the other browsers. Sometimes, simply updating or reinstalling Google Chrome is the way to go since once the installation is damaged/corrupt, there's a chance that all the plugins will be as well.

I understand what you're saying, Aura, but remember that Windows 8.1 was built to be much friendlier to Chrome than Vista is, and vice versa. A couple of years ago I couldnt even use Chrome because it caused too many headaches with Vista. Thankfully, that's over with and I now use it almost exclusively.

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 March 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Windows 8.1 wasn't meant to be much user friendly to any program, but to Windows itself. Windows isn't being built around any programs maybe except Microsoft ones, certainly not Google Chrome.

unite_blue.png

#14 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I have searched before with firefox and I do not like it as well.

#15 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Windows 8.1 wasn't meant to be much user friendly to any program, but to Windows itself. Windows isn't being built around any programs maybe except Microsoft ones, certainly not Google Chrome.

I'm sorry to say that even giants like Microsoft must keep Google, Oracle, Adobe, and many other companies, both hardware and software alike, in mind when building their software to allow for compatibility both forward and backward, or they would not stay in business very long. 

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 March 2015 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users