Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD / System Restore Error / after recent Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenilworth

kenilworth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer Gurus & other frustrated PC users...

In Brief:

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Pavillion dv6 HP laptop. I let Windows Update do its thing late last night before I went to sleep (ie: finish installing updates and shut down computer)...when I turned it on today, I got a BSOD - the details: "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal", with a stop error of 0x000000D1, and "ndis.sys" as the file mentioned. The laptop then goes into restart mode, where it goes back to this BSOD, in a loop. I used F8 to get into safe mode, tried to do a System Restore. When it reboots, it goes back into the BSOD loop. So, I enter safe mode again, and get an error message from System Restore saying that it can't finish, b/c it "can't access a file", and give me an error code of 0 x 80070005. I disable my anti-virus software (kaspersky), as the error message suggests, start all over, but get nowhere. I have run scans to test the memory, all is fine. I can't get networking to work in safe mode. I can't get /scannow to work in safe mode. I can't manage to utilize the suggestions I've found on the web b/c I can't run windows normally, just in safe mode.

HELP. ME. PLEASE.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kenilworth

kenilworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

image2_zpsbqyd0ms6.jpg

image1_zpsgx0knbet.jpg

#3 HeyRoxie

HeyRoxie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:49 PM

had the same issue.. this blue screen will turn to the black one and will start to fade.. ..this is a combination of things.. I wasn't able to get in through safe mode.. and restore failed.. try getting in with safe mode with command.. I just read another post here.. seems alot of us are going through this.. 

I havent seen a resolution on the other post.. but I do know we are all dealing with the same steps.. 

I will say with mine.. (I have been doing this for hmmm 4 days str8 now.. 

IE is bad and will be until you get it to at least IE 10.. I am holding back on downloading 11... 

I had to re-install BOIS driver.. after each crash.. and all the downloads didnt go thru..

I had a BAD net work driver ... (still haven't updated that) but WILL tell you .. I have not had to restore and I am trying everything not to.. all I can do is tell you what has worked for me so far.. and what I have done.. over and over until I get the correct update from MS.. and will suggest that when you are able to get to where all updates are in and you can load drivers back ONE BY ONE.. restarting after each one.. and if you also have that bad net driver controller..load that last.. but make a back up  and definately make a start up disk copy.. you are going to need it.. 

Good Luck.. I will help where I can , and will advise when I can not.. I am getting good at this but am not a PRO like so many here...

#4 HeyRoxie

HeyRoxie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

to resolve black screen issue... shut down in regular (using the shut down button)... remove the battery and unplug from power cord.. for about 10 min...hit the start button a few times to clear static... plug it back in.. and re-connect the battery.. take a deep breath and hit start ;)  hopefully you can get in.. at least thru safe mode.. I went in with command,, but could not get any further than the CMD screen.. I ran SFC /scannow . and did a complete scan of all directories.. at one point I know I had to reload explorer and relink system32 ...

#5 kenilworth

kenilworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:39 PM

Well, I gave up.

I spent time in safe mode transferring (drag & drop) my sensitive & irreplaceable stuff to portable hard drives, and did a custom re-install. A friend who is a computer tech set my laptop up for me and was happy to give me a disc. I was able to save all of my things to the "windows.old" folder, as it was, so I didn't lose anything. I immediately re-adjusted my Windows Update settings, and have definitively NOT accepted any driver updates for outside manufacturers. I also haven't re-accepted the newest patch Windows released RIGHT BEFORE the sh*t hit the fan for me. Unless I need to, I'm not going to add it. Unless someone here can explain how to not "explode my stuff" when I do it.

Thanks for responding and commiserating, HeyRoxie. I really hope your epic struggle has sorted itself out? Or you can use a solution like I have? Ultimately, I'm too short on time and knowledge to mess around - I figured the more I tinker, the worse it could get. Setting up my personal business and preferences all over again after the install was gonna take less time and heartache. Good luck.

#6 HeyRoxie

HeyRoxie

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:42 PM

Kenilworth ... sorry for late relay.. Yes I understand.. I spent hours and days on this and the domino effect but I am up  and knock on wood running at least for now..  Mine balanced out after doing the above and controlling the updates to 4 at a time. and repeating the above.. a few times.. there is 2 drivers that are not linking yet but they are not hurting  what  I need to do YET..

when you have time ,you  can follow up on any post and read what they are doing to resolve this same issue.. I come and see if there is any new steps but I am also on 2 other forums so it is getting harder to drop in here with my system down like it was.. give a shout out if you need any thing. I will be happy to help where I can... Good Luck to you as well ..and thank you ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users