Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heeelp! Have Just Experienced First Computer Crash

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lizbeth

lizbeth

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:01 AM

Pleese!! Could some kind soul tell me how i crashed my pc for the very first time!!!!!

Having not long entered into this wonderful world of cyberspace, and prematurely patting myself on the back for (having considered myself) edging just a tiny bit along from my newbee status got way too confident and it seems crashed my pc, i obviously only had :thumbsup: one eye on the ball so to speak. Long story cut short all was not lost however i have a Packard Bell computer with system restore and as i was prudent enough to do a prior manuel restore point that took my pc back to the state prior to my latest download this saved the day,( i assumed the following download was the cause of my crash). I decided to download IE-SPYAD all seemed fine untill i put on my windows media player. the download seemed successful or so i thought then my pc would,nt come out to play and freaked out :inlove:

Could some one take pity and tell me were they think perhaps i went wrong :cool: I have IE6, SpywareBlaster,Spybot(resident teatimer active,resident sd helper active)adaware,Norton and windows firewall. I then thought having IE SPYAD would be the icing on the cake for my pc protection. I am so worried about downloading anything else as a result. I assume that i will not in future be able to download IE SPYAD any time soon :flowers:

Your help in this matter would be of immeasurable help even if it,s just to say don,t do it again :woot:

Oh well!! better go and put my newbee cap back on :trumpet:

Yours in gratitude Lizbeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hi Lizbeth,

I know you're upset but it's hard to tell from your post exactly what you were doing when your computer crashed. It would also help to know what model your PC is and which Windows operating system you have. My best guess is that this is the sequence of events:

1. Downloaded a program or something. (If a program, did you try to install it?)

2. First crash. On restart Windows asked if you wanted to restore to "last known good configuration"

3. Downloaded and installed IE-Spyad (did you reboot afterwards?)

4. Downloaded and attempted to install Windows Media Player. Which version was this?

5. Media Player seemed to install correctly, but after finishing the computer crashed. Q- how exactly did it crash? Did it ask for a reboot and then Windows would not start? Any message? My guess is it did not offer to restore to "last known good" if it had, you would have done so and would not be asking for help.

Please tell us whether this is what happened, if not, what did happen, and what if anything you see on the screen when you power on the computer now.

#3 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:18 AM

Hi Dave
Thankyou so very much for your help :inlove: I was so sorry i didn,t give you that much to go on in my post for advice am still learnin the ropes :) and obviously not too well : Any way to my wee prob. Please to forgive if i just go for the non Techie version i will try and explain from the my idiot point of view :cool: you asked for the following info

I am using windows XP(service pack 2) Home edition version 2002
Pc- Packard Bell Imed 1509 Desk pc intel
Pentium R 4CPU 3.06Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM
Hard Disk Drive 160 GB(modem MSP 2900-WPCI)
Graphics Card (Geforce6200LETC 64 (256)MB)

Getting back to what i was doing as my pc crashed , I had downloaded IE- Spyad following the Bleeping Comp, Tutorial exactly (using method I) followed the instructions completly everything worked out as it said on the tutorial no probs, i then checked my internet explorer 6 restricted site and it was obvious that it had installed ok as there were thousands of new sites in situe :flowers: I did not however reboot (was i mean.t to???)oops!! My next move after that was to log off as my partner wished to log on as it,s a shared pc(i already have Windows Media player 10 installed on my settings and have used it often with music cd,s i have ripped on to it myself) My partner very seldom uses the pc but decided that he to might wish to use windows media player on his settings but never having done so before he then clicked on the icon only to find that the wizzard appeared ,he followed the insructions and hadn,t long started when the pc screen and tower wen.t :thumbsup: the tower sounded like a cd when it gets stuck in the cd player the screen had lots of info about errors having being found with a list of instructions to follow and to contact manufacturer etc, i was,nt able to see the insructions as my partner disconnected the power source, but i did notice a Spybot teatimer error message flash up informing that it had noticed a change in the registry i think!! The pc would,nt allow my partner to switch off that,s why he disconnected the power source!!! They shoud,nt let idiots like us loose in the world :trumpet: feeling very foolish she leaves the forum i also have ccokie wall,as well as all the others i informed you of in my last post. I will also send you a follow on WEE! post :cool: if it helps with the log detail(only one sentence long i promise :huh: All i wish to know is if we caused the crash, were did we go wrong and how to avoid the same thing happening again and pleased to be assured any help would be eternally appreciated, if you only knew how much :woot:

yours with gratitude
Lizbeth :( Ps i used system restore as i mentioned and everthing seems ok so far

#4 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 03:32 AM

:thumbsup:
Hi Dave
back with my Spybot info log

My teatimer resident log states

29/06/2006 11.37.41 denied value "KernalFaultcheck" "(New data: "" )
deleted in system startup global entry

Feeling foolish lizbeth leaves the room :flowers:
cheers dave

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

Well Lizbeth,

It sounds like _you_ did not do anything wrong, and probably the worst thing anybody did was to pull the plug on a running computer. This is always a bad thing because it may cause damage to the hard drive. However it sounds like there was only one crash, and that since performing a system restore, the machine has been functioning properly.

I did not mean to imply that you should have rebooted after installing Spyad. I was just trying to pin down the sequence of events. From what you say it does not sound like installing Spyad caused the crash.

It sounds like what happened is that TeaTimer did what it is intended to do -- prevent suspicious changes to the system.

I take it that there are two separate user accounts set up on this computer, and that the other user tried to customize the Media Player settings for his account. That probably would not be enough to trigger a warning but if he decided to download and install a new codec, for example, that might do it. I can't say for sure, because I don't have TeaTimer running on my computer. Perhaps somebody who does will clue us in?

The dreadful crash (Did the system halt with a blue screen and an error message in the middle?) may have been caused by some attempt to "get around" TeaTimer's preventive action. Or it could have been some glitch in whatever was being installed. You need to conduct an inquiry as to exactly what was done.

If my surmises are correct, then the way to prevent this from happening in the future is to disable TeaTimer before you begin installing software. It's also a good idea to shut down your Norton Antivirus realtime protection before installations, for the same reason. Be sure to turn them back on afterwards, of course.

#6 lizbeth

lizbeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:56 AM

:thumbsup:

Many thanks Dave M59 for again for lending me the knowledge of your experience will take on board your sound advice especially not disconnecting from the power source :flowers: am learning day by day all the do,s and don,t do,s of pc-ing gaining lots of knowledge just reading posts etc, and the tutorials have been a superb source of education for a poor wee newbee !! so pat on the back allround guys. Keep up the good work your help is invaluable :trumpet:

Many thanks Lizbeth :cool:

PS from Scotland have a dram on me :inlove:

#7 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

Cheers Lizbeth I will -- very partial to The Glenlivet.

Keep reading, keep learning. Best of luck in your computing adventures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users