Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Clicking Sound

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yanez

Yanez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

I have a weird problem.  In the last couple of weeks, however so often my laptop won´t boot up and I hear a clicking sound coming from the hard drive.  I googled and didn´t find any good news. However, recently, I opened up the laptop and removed the hard drive from the laptop.  Once extracted (its a S-ATA II) i removed the protective covering from the hard drive and now it boots up fine.  I tested it a couple of times and found that every time the hard drive had the little case, i heard the clicking sound and it didn´t boot up.  However, when removed, it works fine.  As for right now my hard drive in laptop does not have the little protective case, only thing protecting it is the outside laptop case.  

By the way: I have a Samsung NP300.  

Any idea on what could be causing the hard drive clicking only with the case?

Edited by Yanez, 11 March 2015 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:21 PM

Well as I can't speak for any design issues it sounds like you may have determined the culprit of your sound click issue Are you stating that the hard drive platters are ' bare ' inside the laptop?  That won't last long if it is.

#3 Yanez

Yanez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Well as I can't speak for any design issues it sounds like you may have determined the culprit of your sound click issue Are you stating that the hard drive platters are ' bare ' inside the laptop?  That won't last long if it is.

Yes, the hard drive is bare inside the laptop.  With the protective case i hear a clicking sound from the hard drive and pc never boots up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users