Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 Freezing & Malware Bytes and other scanners/fixers wont install

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jara001

Jara001

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Mod Edit: Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected forum ~~ boopme

I suspect there may be some malware interfering with my system. Outlook was working with lightning speed a couple of days ago, now it takes minutes to load, and freezes the moment I try to click on anything - I'm lucky to be able to get access to a single email....

I tried downloading malware bytes, but when I click the exe it wont run - prompts me to install but does nothing  - even if using the run as admin option. I've also noticed I cant get my AVG working, and I can get barely any other scanner or removal tool to install.

I did find a page on the site recommending to use adwcleaner, JRT, rkill and Security Checker, but I can only get adwcleaner to work. It removed mostly a few registry entries, but outlook still not working.

When I try to run JRT, rkill, and Security Checker they all seem to say 'file cannot be found' or wont run.

Can anyone suggest some solutions please? This is very frustrating. I've probably clicked on something I shouldn't have while searching for an old mp3 for my gf....(sigh) the things we do for love... :)

Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Edited by boopme, 11 March 2015 - 09:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

Do you have a second computer to attach this hard drive too scan it with?

Have you tried Trojan remover?

Edited by Combat_superman, 11 March 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#3 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

Unfortunately not Combat_superman : (

...just saw ur second bit...

I did use an online scanner the other day and it picked up something  - I did suspect this was a Trojan , but Im not expert. I removed it, but the issue still remains. I tried 'repairing' 2010 this morning, but to no effect.

...ok...think I worked out what you meant...installing 'Trojan-remover' now...its updating currently... keep you posted...

Hmmm... Trojan-Remover says "no active malicious files were found and no changes were made".... but AVG (Free) still wont open and isn't showing in the system tray, and Outlook is still freezing...

Any other suggestions? Could there still be something there I'm not detecting?

Edited by Jara001, 11 March 2015 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

Try this right fast...

Do you have CCleaner?

If so run the registry, then go into the control panel - internet options - delete browsing history - content tab - clear ssl state - apply and ok.

This probaly wont help a lot 

Then start type in cmd.exe 

Then type in sfc.exe/scannow

Then you will need to type dism.exe/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth

Let me know how that works for you...

#5 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

Ok....I have CCleaner now : )

- Ran the registry function and accepted all changes (backed up reg file just in case)

- Cleared ssl state ok

- but! (isn't there always one?) when I go to the command prompt and type the scannow command it tells me I need to be an administrator to run that function - this is my home PC, would I not be the administrator? theres no PW on my system

...or do I need to run the file from another directory other than C:\Users\User ?

...will see if those other changes make any difference now...

... no change to Outlook's performance unfortunately.

Edited by Jara001, 11 March 2015 - 09:26 PM.

#6 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

when you search Cmd instead of clicking it, right click and select run as administrator 

#7 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Ok... **feeling stupid now** : )

running.... get back to you shortly : )

Ok... "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Should I still run that additional command you suggested?

Edited by Jara001, 11 March 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#8 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

btw - forgot to add system details before...

Win 7, Home, 64 bit

dunno if that helps much.. but there 'tis

#9 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

yes run them both

#10 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

Ok mate will do. Bed time for me soon tho. Update you in the morning. Thanks very much for your support and advice so far, regardless of the eventual outcome. Very much appreciated.

Talk soon.

J

#11 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

no problem, Im not the smartest guy out there but Im sure I can help find you the answers you need. 

#12 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Sounds good enough for me : )

Ok... ran the 'dism.exe/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth' command and it gives me this...

"Error 87" The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown, for more info refer to DISM.exe

I typed dism.exe /? to see the options, and I can see 'online' but not the other sub commands.

On a side note, windows update informed me last night that my AVG and Win Defender were turned off (which I had worked out already!) but it would not let me turn on AVG no matter how many times I clicked 'turn on', and it would not let me update Win defender properly. Don't know if that gives you any other clues, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

#13 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

It does sound like a virus.. Do you have malwarebytes? try doing this...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243818/how_to_remove_malware_from_your_windows_pc.html

#14 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

Hmm... not good, but as suspected.

I have the exe for malwarebytes, but it wont let me run the file. That, combined with the no AVG / Defender thing and hence my initial suspicion.

I'll give that link of your a shot and get back to you. Cheers.

#15 Jara001

Jara001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 09:11 PM

Ok. Tried all the steps on the page you sent through, but still having trouble : /

-Booted in safe mode

-Ran disk cleanup

-went to install malwarebytes, kvrt, and bit defender, and none of them will unpack and install. As usual, click 'run', then 'yes' to changes, and that's the last of it. No actions after that - nothing running in task manager.

What could be stopping those programs from installing and how do I detect it if I cant install?

Can I install any of those programs from a dos prompt and bypass whatever is preventing the install process?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users