Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting help

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Tarnas

Tarnas

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Hi, So I want to reformat this PC I am using. I have done it before when I got it but like a fool when I has this PC built for me on overclockers I forgot to add a hard drive bigger than the basic 111 gig ssd. Windows and it's updates quickly filled the ssd up without me even knowing so I put the old 1tb hard drive into my PC as a back up. I still to this day get messages appearing in the system tray saying that the ssd is full. 

yUbjp4u.png

Now you see my problem I would like to reformat my PC so windows is on the local disk E and use whatever game on the C drive. The system reserved drive seems to be empty so can I delete it? It's been a while since I reformatted so I assume I need to delete the partition that is E install windows on it but then I am not sure how to change what disk the PC pulls the windows files from as there will be files on both C and E? Do I also delete the partition C and just remake it but like I said before install windows onto partition E? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi Tarnas :)

This is quite a complicated situation, so let's break it down and see what we can do about it. I'm running the same build as you, a 120GB Intel SSD and a 1TB WD HDD. On my SSD (C:), I have Windows installed, as well as important, heavy-duty programs like IDE, compilers, and a few games. On my E: drive, I have all other minor programs (WinRAR, VLC, iTunes, games) as well as all my personal files, since I redirected my Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos folder to folders on my E: drive, which saves me a lot of space. To this day, I still have 24GB free on my SSD and I can make free space whenever I want. If you want to format your whole SSD again and reinstall Windows on it, I'll be happy to walk you throught that procedure, and also tell you how to setup your SSD with your HDD so everything goes on the HDD and only the minimum goes on your SSD. How does that sound? :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

I could do that but I have made sure I installed no games or any programs bar windows on the SSD as it's lack of size so won't the same just happen again? Also say I was to upgrade my SSD at one stage a whole new windows install would have to be done even though it don't take long it's kind of a pain to get all drivers and all that back on. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

Personally it's quite easy to get all the drivers back, I could assist you with that. Would take less than a few minutes. Also, you can use WinDirStat to see where most of your storage space is gone on your SSD.

https://windirstat.info/

If you have Hibernation mode enabled on your system, as well as a big paging file, it takes away a lot of space right away. You should also give this excellent guide a read. It's a must have for everyone running a SSD/HDD combo:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Okay sure I could some help if your still willing?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

Of course. Alright, so you want to wipe the SSD and reinstall Windows on it is that right? Do you intend on wiping the HDD as well or not? Also, do you have your Windows 8 or 8.1 installation media (CD, DVD, USB)?

unite_blue.png

#7 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Wipe the SSD and the HDD aswell. I am using windows 7 with the CD. Hoping to install windows onto the HDD and games onto the SSD so they are faster. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

I would suggest you to install Windows on the SSD as well as the games you want to play, then install all the other programs on the HDD. How many games do you have?

unite_blue.png

#9 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

Well I do have quite a few but only had long loading times with one. I'm not sure that will fit on the SSD with windows though. I'll just do windows onto the SSD and everything else onto a fresh HDD then. 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

What you could do (like me) is install Windows on the SSD as well with the games you play the most, then install the ocassional ones on the HDD. Works great. Do you know how to reinstall Windows 7 or not?

unite_blue.png

#11 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

Will do, that I've done before just when it comes to the partitions I am not sure if I need to delete both or just the SSD one? 

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

Three partitions will show up during the setup. The SSD (C:) one, the system reserved (100MB) one and the HDD (E:) one. You can format all of them to wipe everything clean, then proceed to install Windows on the 120GB partition, which is the SSD. To format a partition, select it then click on Advanced Settings and click on the Format option, which is the little eraser. Do you have access to any other computer or do you have your Ethernet/Network Controllers drivers ready to be installed in case Windows doesn't install them right away?

unite_blue.png

#13 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

I have the drivers for my network adapter saved onto a usb ready to be installed. Once I have done the step's in your post and am on a fresh new PC I will post back as it's nearly 3am for me so will do it all at my next bit of free time. 

Thanks for all the help so far. 

Edited by Tarnas, 11 March 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

All good I'm about to go to bed too. Looks like you're all set, good luck and keep me update :)

unite_blue.png

#15 Tarnas

Tarnas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

Ok so when it came to the partitions I deleted everything that was there and now it's only showing the SSD drive. Also until I get acess to another computer I can't download the drivers for my network adapter. I downloaded the addon for windows 8.1 instead. Main problem though is the second drive not appearing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users