Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just My Opinion - Some Gripes About Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

I was a Windows user for years - or rather I was abused by Windows for years. Since switching I am very impressed how my Macbook Pro actually works. It updates when necessary and the updates don't break anything. It found my network printers quickly and never lost them. It always boots up into the OS - for 4 years now. Wow. 

But - the printer driver for my Brother HL4070 doesn't let me access all the features that my Windows printer driver did - like the feature that I bought that printer for - to let me print both sides of the paper without having to manually flip the stack of papers. Ditto for my old KM printer.

You can't delete items in Trash individually so I have to check all the items in there before I can delete any. You can't delete items in Finder except by sending them to Trash. There are plenty of times when I'd just like to permanently delete a file from Finder like I could from Windows Explorer. You can use Terminal, but that is very time-consuming. I've found it a lot harder to use/understand Terminal than I did the Command Prompt.

Getting around between windows and applications and within documents is harder. I really miss the ALT + first letter of the command on the menu. I miss ALT +TAB. Having the ALT button hardwired to give you those special characters - such a waste of customizing power. I can't customize Word for Mac like I could my Word for Windows - I miss being able to put my own commands on the shortcut menus.

My biggest complaint is the Mac's inability to do multisession discs. It is enough of a problem that I'm thinking of getting a windows computer again. [Shudder]  I'm about to go to war again against some big bads and I need to do reliable backups frequently of the documents I write or scan into the computer. With Windows I used an external HD plus multisession discs using Nero. You are supposed to use two different types of backup media and HDs can die suddenly at any time. With Nero it was quick and easy to pop in the DVDs and update the changed files and so far my CDs and DVDs are still readable after many years. Those disks saved my life when my new Maxtor [boo Maxtor] HD suddenly died just after I formatted & reinstalled Windows [boo Microsoft]. My Mac won't read my MS discs either.

Another c/o of the Macbook Pro is it only comes w/ a HD screen and the font everywhere is always too small. I spend all my time trying to enlarge fonts and photos and mostly having to squint. I don't watch movies on the mac, so the HD is just a waste.

Microsoft is busy borrowing some ideas from Mac. It would be nice if Mac could borrow some from Windows. If Mac did multisession discs they would probably work reliably. I frequently had to troubleshoot my Nero/DVD drive after a security update to get things working again.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

I will see if I can help out some...

See below...

I was a Windows user for years - or rather I was abused by Windows for years. Since switching I am very impressed how my Macbook Pro actually works. It updates when necessary and the updates don't break anything. It found my network printers quickly and never lost them. It always boots up into the OS - for 4 years now. Wow. 

But - the printer driver for my Brother HL4070 doesn't let me access all the features that my Windows printer driver did - like the feature that I bought that printer for - to let me print both sides of the paper without having to manually flip the stack of papers. Ditto for my old KM printer.

As much as Apple does annoying things at times (such as only one port on the new MacBook), this is likely not Apple's fault (for the most part). It is likely the printer manufacturer not providing a fully functional printer driver for the Mac. FWIW, this can also happen on Windows when printer manufacturer's decide that they no longer want to support older printers for newer Windows OSs (I had a perfectly good HP inkjet printer that could do 11x17 pages that HP decided not to provide updated drivers for Vista and beyond).

Best you can do is see if you have the latest and greatest driver from the printer manufacturer's website. Beyond that, there might be slight chance for a third party driver, but only a slight. Here is the Brother page for downloading the latest and greatest drivers:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl4070cdw_all

If you have not tried that, then give it a try and see if it helps.

If it does work, then the drivers that Apple supplies with the OS (and Update) system did not include that specific driver (which then could potentially be partly Apple's fault).

You can't delete items in Trash individually so I have to check all the items in there before I can delete any. You can't delete items in Finder except by sending them to Trash. There are plenty of times when I'd just like to permanently delete a file from Finder like I could from Windows Explorer. You can use Terminal, but that is very time-consuming. I've found it a lot harder to use/understand Terminal than I did the Command Prompt.

You are correct...in a sense. Older versions of the Mac OS allowed these type of actions. Apparently, the current versions no longer do. If you do a search for a solution to this, then you will undoubtedly find a bunch unhelpful comments along the line of "you are using Trash wrong", etc. I am sure that this is at least partly behind Apple's mentality for removing those functions. This is one of those case where Apple really annoys me by thinking that they know the best way of doing things.

You did find the one way to do it. You can then turn that method into a script and service if you want that would be accessible by way of a right click (yes, the Mac OS does have a right-click if you did not know that...many do not).

Or the other option is to get a third party program. They are many options. Here is a discussion with some options (with plenty of gratuitous "your using Trash wrong" comments):

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20130717073103559

And specifically here is a link to PathFinder (I experimented with it once, but found it was not for me at that time...you can try it for 30 days):

http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

Getting around between windows and applications and within documents is harder. I really miss the ALT + first letter of the command on the menu. I miss ALT +TAB. Having the ALT button hardwired to give you those special characters - such a waste of customizing power. I can't customize Word for Mac like I could my Word for Windows - I miss being able to put my own commands on the shortcut menus.

I just want make sure that you realize that there is an equivalent to the basic AL+TAB function on the Mac...it is Command+TAB. If you already knew about it, I apologize. It is not as sophisticated as Windows' ALT+TAB but does the basic window switching.

For more sophisticated moving around, then you can use Mission Control (assuming you are using one of the Mac OS version with Mission Control). If you find it useful, then there are third party mouse drivers that will allow you to assign some of those commands to extra mouse buttons on a "Windows" mouse. I use SteerMouse (http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/) along with a Logitech G5 mouse along long there lines with my Macs.

My biggest complaint is the Mac's inability to do multisession discs. It is enough of a problem that I'm thinking of getting a windows computer again. [Shudder]  I'm about to go to war again against some big bads and I need to do reliable backups frequently of the documents I write or scan into the computer. With Windows I used an external HD plus multisession discs using Nero. You are supposed to use two different types of backup media and HDs can die suddenly at any time. With Nero it was quick and easy to pop in the DVDs and update the changed files and so far my CDs and DVDs are still readable after many years. Those disks saved my life when my new Maxtor [boo Maxtor] HD suddenly died just after I formatted & reinstalled Windows [boo Microsoft]. My Mac won't read my MS discs either.

This is another item that the Mac OS used to do, but no longer does for some stupid reason (probably since Apple no longer includes optical drives in any of the their Macs, they figure that they no longer need to really support more robust burning functions).

So, you can look to third party applications to do it. While I am not 100% sure Toast does it, I would be extremely surprised if it did not.

If you are using Mac OS 10.6 as your signature states, then I believe you can do multisession disc from within Disk Utility.

Another c/o of the Macbook Pro is it only comes w/ a HD screen and the font everywhere is always too small. I spend all my time trying to enlarge fonts and photos and mostly having to squint. I don't watch movies on the mac, so the HD is just a waste.

Apple is definitely not as good as Microsoft in this area, but that is largely a function of how the Mac OS is functionally different than Windows...I believe.

You have two basic options: 1) Switch to a lower screen resolution; or 2) find the various ways to adjust fonts size in the various areas. This might help with the second option:

http://superuser.com/questions/253973/how-can-i-change-the-system-font-size-in-os-x

Microsoft is busy borrowing some ideas from Mac. It would be nice if Mac could borrow some from Windows. If Mac did multisession discs they would probably work reliably. I frequently had to troubleshoot my Nero/DVD drive after a security update to get things working again.

A huge part of switching between OSs is learn how best to adapt. Unfortunately, Apple is not as good as "borrowing" good ideas from Windows as Microsoft is at "borrowing" from the Mac OS...as you noted. But they do. For the longest time, you could do copy/cut and paste of files on Windows, but not on the Mac...which would tend to frustrate the crap out of Windows switchers. You can now at least copy things this way.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,099 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hmmm....I have wondered why Mac purchasers were so enthused about being able to install Windows on their Macs. Might be worth looking into.

How to Install Windows on a Mac With Boot Camp

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hmmm....I have wondered why Mac purchasers were so enthused about being able to install Windows on their Macs. Might be worth looking into.
How to Install Windows on a Mac With Boot Camp

Personally, if one is going to buy a Mac just to install Windows on it and only use Windows on it, then they are better off just buy a Windows computer.

1) They likely will save money. You can even get Windows computers that are similar in construction/"form factor" to a Mac (for example, Samsung makes their ATIV laptops that a similar power level and "form factor" to MacBook Airs).
2) Even though Boot Camp will run Windows natively, Apple does not necessarily provide full equivalent functionality for Windows in Boot Camp. For example, higher end MacBook Pros have a dual graphics system (i.e. a lower powered and thus more battery efficient "integrated" graphics system and a higher power and thus less battery friendly "discrete" graphics system). On the Mac side, it will switch automatically between the two. On the Windows Boot Camp side (unless things have changed in more recent versions of Boot Camp), it ONLY uses the higher power but less battery friendly "discrete" graphics...the Boot Camp driver does not provide for anyway to switch to the "integrated" graphics system.

Of course, one can use a VM program like Parallels to run Windows (like I do). You will lose a little performance as Windows is not running natively, but they have gotten it pretty good. I only use it to run programs that are not available on the Mac...not get certain features that are missing in the Mac OS that Windows has. For that type of stuff, I find I am better trying to find a piece of third party Mac software that will "fix" that particular deficiency in the Mac OS functionality.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input. Special thanks to smax013 for all your helpful suggestions and links. Sorry I am so slow to reply, I am always very tired and foggy-headed these days. Also, I somehow just erased my lengthy reply through NoScript.

I checked out the links to the alternate trash programs. I think one will work for me - I'll look into it further when my head clears up some. I tried learning AppleScript [bought the book and tried to read it] and reading up on Terminal, but it was too much work at that point and this point. Also, I think I need a Terminal for Dummies book.

I did extensive research on multisession DVDs and mac and mac doesn't read or burn multi's unless something's changed in the last 3 years. Toast can't provide that option because mac doesn't support reading multisession DVDs. I did find an article on how to burn a multi using Drive Manager, but it didn't recommend doing so because mac might not read the DVD. Mac doesn't read my multi DVDs burned on Windows using Nero. Also, using Drive Manager was complicated.

The advantage of burning multisession DVDs using Nero on WinXP is that once you set up your nri file to burn your Computer or Financial or Whatever folder/s you just have to slip in the DVD again and run the nri file to have any changed files added in another session. When I am in research mode I can generate a lot of changed files per day. I could and did regularly backup any changed files daily in about 5 minutes and I found files on the Nero multi's reliably accessible over time on several windows machines. I would also burn sealed DVDs and do a backup to an external HD weekly. Periodically, I would place backup DVDs in my security box at the bank.

I find backing up to an ext HD an effort and it took me awhile to find a backup program I liked. I live in hurricane, lots of sudden lightning-hitting-the-ground-or-one's-house storms land and the ext HD has to be unplugged and put away after backup. I also have a small desk area and it's awkward hooking it up. I'm simply not going to do it everyday.

I do run a VM [VirtualBox] running WinXP on my mac and I think I remember I can read my multisessions on it. I can't burn to DVD thru the VM, tho, so I didn't install Nero. If there is a VM that can use programs running on a windows os to burn to the mac's optical disc, that might work for me. If it's the mac os and not the mac hardware that's allergic to multi's and the mac os will let the VM+Windows+Nero burn a multi.

I think Bootcamp is for people who like to run multi-boot computers so they can choose to boot into Linux or different Windows OS's to experiment with or to run a game they don't want to give up. I don't think bootcamp lets you integrate the mac w/ windows programs like a VM can. W/ VirtualBox I can share doc and pics folders between the mac and the VM+Windows - they're mounted as network drives in the VM. So I can open the same Word doc in Word for Mac or in MSWord running on the VM and edit it in either. I can make pdf's in PaperPort in the VM and open them in mac. I boot into mac and then open the VM like any program, start up WinXP and then I can go back and forth between Mac & WinXP by simply clicking in the VM's icon.

I like MS Word better than Word for Mac because it's more customizable. I can put icons for my macros on the toolbar but I can't add any to shortcut menus in MacWord. And there's that lack of the Alt+File etc to get the menu to drop down. However, I work mostly in MacWord because MS Word frequently crashes in WinXP on the VM just like it did in WinXP on a windows machine!!! MacWord also rarely crashes with no warning and for no reason so I push Cmd+S a lot.

The trouble with running a VM w/ WinXP on the mac is that you have to learn/keep up with 2 OS's plus the VM. Plus you have to backup the VM periodically and then remember how to reinstall if necessary. Just to do the things you need/want to do on the computer and for which you bought it. Thankfully, the mac has been so stable and reliable and has run the VM very stably and reliably. I've only had to reinstall the VM once in five years. Also thankfully, there are a lot of nice people on the net who share their experience and knowledge in forums such as this.

Navigationally, Cmd+Tab isn't as functional as Alt+Tab as you said. It just takes me back and forth between 2 application windows. I need a shortcut to go quickly between several Word docs and I really need a keyboard shortcut that will get me quickly from the beginning to the end of a Word doc or a Firefox page and vice versa. I tend to use keyboard shortcuts much more than a mouse to get around. I read a couple of mac books when I first got my mac but I don't remember anything about Mission Control. I'll recheck my books. So far, I've found mac help as useless as windows help.

I did follow the Brother's link, download and install their driver and voila[sp?] - I now have monotone and duplex functionality. Yeah! That is a major problem solved. I had thought, since I installed the printer from the Brother's CD, that Brother just didn't support all its features on a mac. My KM2300DL printer has no mac driver - I had to use drivers for the KM2400 and can't use all its features. Two days after I installed the new driver this week mac update tried to install a Brother "update". I figure my original Brother driver got "updated" w/ a mac driver before I tried printing on the Brother. It never occurred to me that mac would do that - substitute their driver for a manufacturer's driver.

I've tried out several screen resolutions and none of them really work. It's really easy to change resolutions on this computer. I think the trouble is that the dialog boxes, I think they are called, aren't proportioned well in a lot of programs. When the main page in Word is comfortable, I have to squint at the dialog boxes. I found the same thing in Word on Windows, but it's worse on the mac or on the HD screen. I've tried using mac's zoom, but I found it easier just to squint. On the web I spend forever zooming in - I just don't think HD is good for fonts.

My mac is five years old this August [altho I haven't done much on it for 3 years] and I started thinking about going back to Windows - then I visited the 8.1 forum. I'm going to try harder to adjust to mac.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users