Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sparky494

sparky494

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

Im looking to upgrade my machine, need help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

...Okay.  What is your current build and what is your use case?

3939.png

#3 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

Dell sudio XPS 7100

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T processor 2.70GHz

Installed memory RAM 6.0

64 bit operating system

Edited by sparky494, 17 March 2015 - 07:40 PM.

#4 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

i mainly use my PC for online games and music/ music videos

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

And from the Intel fanboy I suggest you 'upgrade' to an intel system for gaming.  Even if you did upgrade your chip to a newer faster processor take a look at a comparison of similar ' ghz. ' processors between AMD and Intel.

Just a thought.  Good Luck with your upgrade !

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

You don't need an Intel system for gaming, you do need a good CPU and graphics card though.  Brand really doesn't matter.  Most games are GPU bound so the graphics card will be handling the bulk of the processing.  As for system specifications, we will need a bit more than that.  We will need to know what motherboard you are using, your graphics card, RAM, CPU, and a PC's power supply.  Depending on your already-existing hardware, your upgrade options could be severely limited.

3939.png

#7 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

CPU-Z is a good utility to gather this information, though be careful where you download it from, as there are a bunch of 3rd party bundles out there with cpu-z. www.cpuid.com is safe. Alternatively, hit windows key + R and type in msinfo32, and most of the info needed can be gathered from there.

#8 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:28 PM

i mainly use my PC for online games and music/ music videos

Sparky,

It would be nice to let us know your maximum budget on a new computer build.

Thanks!

Serpius

#9 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

My budget would be in the $500 range, something to get my PC to last another 4-5 years or so,  but considering that I paid approx $1k on the whole thing, including Bose speakers I might re-evaluate this number later. 

I would stick with an AMD Phenom , more than likely (Intel, in my opinion are over priced)

I am currently try to gather the info requested but having trouble on how to locate it/ what to look for

#10 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

My budget would be in the $500 range, something to get my PC to last another 4-5 years or so,  but considering that I paid approx $1k on the whole thing, including Bose speakers I might re-evaluate this number later. 

I would stick with an AMD Phenom , more than likely (Intel, in my opinion are over priced)

I am currently try to gather the info requested but having trouble on how to locate it/ what to look for

Sparky,

Can you please give us the Service Tag number that is on the backside of the computer case?

There are too many versions of Dell Studio XPS 7100 and it's hard for me to determine which one you have.

Thanks!

#11 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

2MKF8P1

#12 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Sparky,

It looks like you have a solid processor, nothing needs to be changed there.

However, I would replace the graphics card as shown below, plus add more RAM.

That should help your system run a little faster.

Memory: Apotop 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $239.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-21 16:51 EDT-0400

#13 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

How hard are these components to replace?

anything special I will need to know about removing and reinstalling these parts?

How did you come up with these two components/how do I know that these will fit into my computer? (for self gratification that I have the correct parts)

#14 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

How hard are these components to replace?

anything special I will need to know about removing and reinstalling these parts?

How did you come up with these two components/how do I know that these will fit into my computer? (for self gratification that I have the correct parts)

Sparky,

How hard are the components to replace?

Are you referencing the ease or difficulty of installing / re-installing the components off and on the motherboard? 

For those 2 components, those are probably the easiest components to replace. 

The RAM modules are taken out by pushing down the module clasp on both sides of the memory module slots.

To put in the new modules, look for the notch on the bottom side of the module, then look for that same notch on the module slot... line the notches up, then press straight down and the module clasps will pop up on their own if the module is pressed down securely.

Do NOT press hard! If you are pressing down too hard and the module does not seat in too well, stop inserting the modules.

Do it again and make sure that the notches are lined up correctly and try it again.

It's similar to installing the graphics card. Before you take out the graphics card, make sure you UNLOCK the one end of the graphics card (the end furthest away from the edge of the motherboard) the locking mechanism can be one of 2 types. It will have the little module clasp (similar to the memory module clasp) or a clasp that you move side to side.

I know the components are correct because you gave us the Service Tag number which enabled me to find the configuration info and use that to make the recommendations.

#15 sparky494

sparky494
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the help Serpius!!!!

I bought the video card you recommended tonight from amazon, it should be here by the 7th of April.  I will give you an update on how the install goes.  I will also buy the other RAM depending on how much performance I gain with the video card.  I may wait a bit for the RAM purchase.  Thanks again for the help.

Edited by sparky494, 31 March 2015 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users