Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keep getting error code 80072f8f

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amysand andys mommy1

amysand andys mommy1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

kgetting error code 80072f8f  for downloading windoes update  its not my time and date on my computer   and my files are not corroped i ve tryed something that my computer guy told me to do that he  found on this site did not work  . please help i have not been able to down load any updates fo a long time.  iam running windows 7 thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

I would assume your computer guy is we experienced otherwise you may not have used him. I would only think maybe the BIOS time has thrown it off, but that is a bit far fetched. Ask your computer guy if it would be a good idea to do a clean install of Windows OS. I'm sorry I can't offer better advise, because this error code is a time code...

#3 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

kgetting error code 80072f8f  for downloading windoes update  its not my time and date on my computer   and my files are not corroped i ve tryed something that my computer guy told me to do that he  found on this site did not work  . please help i have not been able to down load any updates fo a long time.  iam running windows 7 thanks

Error Code 80072f8f is a generic error thrown by the Windows update service when it is unable to download updates. Diagnosing that issue is a very lengthy one, but you should start with checking the logs for Windows updates.

Here are a few tips:

• Invalid Proxy settings in the Internet Control Panel (Connections Tab) can cause this and there's a lot of hijacking malware that do this. Check that there are no proxy servers listed and disable "Automatically detect settings".
  • Go through the logs for a more detailed error than just the plain undescriptive error code.
  • Ensure date and time on the bios AND windows are correct
  • Ensure your internet connection is clean. Test pings to google and look for large spikes. SpeedTest.net and PingTest.net are good for beginners.
  • Clean out Windows Update's cache:
    • ​In an elevated Command Prompt:
      • ​net stop wuauserv
    • ​Delete the folder found within %systemroot% : SoftwareDistribution (yes, the entire folder)
    • In an elevated Command Prompt:
      • ​net start wuauserv
      • wuauclt.exe /detectnow
  • Beyond that you'll need the logs to further diagnose it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users