Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't download files online, TEMP folder not exactly working, etc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 skinnycam

skinnycam

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hello everyone, and thank you for taking the time to look at my topic!  I'm sure a lot of you might have better stuff to do than help some stranger on the internet with their computer problems, so thank you so much for your aid.

My laptop has been acitng up a lot recently, moreso in the past 2 days.  When I download a file, it automatically comes up as 'failed' in the download menu.  Retrying the download usually doesn't do much, so I've been trying to download things(antiviruses) from another computer.  The thing is, when I try to move them from the USB/External harddrive onto my laptop, it won't let me, sometimes coming up with a message that tells me to skip or ignore, and sometimes just not doing anything at all.

Also, I'm not 100% sure how to convey this problem in the best way, but my temp folder is messed up too.  Playing games, things like 'temp error etc etc etc' shows up, and other information about it.  That's really all I can say about my problem.  If there's anything anybody can help me with, that would be REALLY amazing!  Thank you again!

EDIT:  I'm also on windows 8.1

edit #2:  Not able to download mbar, it tells me (and tells me something along the lines of this for other things I've tried to download too), 'Could not create file "C:\Users\Cameron\Desktop\mbars\mbar\Data\swissarmy.ref'.  The fiel or directory is corrupted or unreadable."

Edited by skinnycam, 11 March 2015 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 commandhat

commandhat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

While I can't help you remove whatever caused it, this might help with your download problem:

Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab

If you see anything inside the white box, select it and click "remove".

Then, click on the "LAN settings" button. If the checkbox labelled "proxy server" is checked, uncheck it unless you or someone you know, such as your ISP, set that up.

Edited by commandhat, 11 March 2015 - 04:03 PM.

#3 skinnycam

skinnycam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

While I can't help you remove whatever caused it, this might help with your download problem:

Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections tab

If you see anything inside the white box, select it and click "remove".

Then, click on the "LAN settings" button. If the checkbox labelled "proxy server" is checked, uncheck it unless you or someone you know, such as your ISP, set that up.

Thanks for the really quick reply! Everything seems to be in order.  Nothing was in the white box, and the proxy server checkbox was not checked.  'Bypass proxy server for local addresses' under it is checked(and i can't uncheck it), but I'm guessing that I don't need to worry about that.

http://puu.sh/gwhDb/ec3dbcef0f.png

http://puu.sh/gwhBE/d69a9786a3.png

EDIT::::::::::::::::   Is the temp folder _av4_ meant to be here?

Edited by skinnycam, 11 March 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#4 skinnycam

skinnycam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Alright, somehow action center repaired my drivers after about 10 minutes (a prompt apeared and I just clicked it.)  It looks like everything is fixed, but I'm afraid it's going to pop back up again.  Should I be worried?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users