Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jj3527

jj3527

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

Today I did the normal windows 8.1 updates and now when I go to google Chrome it is a black screen. When I tried to uninstall chrome it said that chrome was running some where. I have tried to cut off chrome everywhere but nothing works. Chrome works on Internet explorer but not on is own. Does anyone have an answer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

http://sulab.org/2013/05/does-it-affect-you-black-screen-on-recently-updated-google-chrome/

Would this help you?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hi jj3527 :)

What do you mean by "Chrome works on Internet explorer but not on is own"? Also, if you go in the Task Manager, under the Details tab, kill every chrome.exe processes you see before uninstalling Google Chrome.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 jj3527

jj3527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Chrome/Google worked on IE, but when you hit the Chrome tab it came up but to a dark screen. I could go to the top with my mouse and chrome would come up but only the Chrome symbol on the top left and the minimize and x on the right.
Now the settings will not stay on. Hit the gear symbol and it flashes but no page. I have tried to get there for the start screen and it does the same thing, the purple screen comes up then immediately goes to the desktop.
I am not good with these damn things. I have had them but I need a really good tutorial and a weekend to play with it. I don't have either. So I jump between my iPad, note2 and this Toshiba satellite. I have installed Chrome in all three so that I can do my work on whatever is working properly. Normally that is the Note2

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

Alright, can you try uninstalling Google Chrome by following the instructions I provided in my post just above yours, which is by killing every chrome.exe processes if it tells you that Google Chrome is still open?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 jj3527

jj3527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

I have done that, is there anything else that I should get rid of that Microsoft has installed that I don't need?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

You can uninstall the latest installed updates via the Control Panel, but I'm sure there's a way to make Google Chrome work again. Let's see:

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List Last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      Yjt97o0.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png

#8 jj3527

jj3527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

Norton 360 say won't allow me to open the minitoolbox. WS.reputation.1 is a threat.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

It's a false positive. It happens with pretty much every diagnostic tools hosted on BleepingComputer. You can either disable Norton 360 for the time of the scan, or add an exception for MiniToolBox so it can pass throught.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users