Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freeze When Starting PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThePie69

ThePie69

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

I made a topic about this around a month or so ago about when I start my HP Pavilion dv6t-Quad Custom Edition laptop up which is running Windows 8.1 64 bit with all the latest updates it will randomly freeze sometimes. By start up I mean either by waking the computer from sleep or turning the computer on from a previous shutdown. I do not use hibernate, as my Samsung SSD software has it disabled anyways, lol.

Before someone said that it could be a graphical issue since this laptop has switchable graphics (Intel 3000 and Radeon 6770M) I though that could be a possibility. Of course trying to update switchable graphics is not simply done because you need the official drivers from HP & Intel/AMD. I made a dual boot system a few days ago to test out Win 10 Tech Preview and I only could use it for about 5 mins before everything froze up, similar in the way it does now but I could use the PC for bit. So I but a windows 8.1 over the win 10 so I have two win 8.1's now. They both have the graphics drivers for both the display cards which are listed under the display section of "Device Manager". The other partition I haven't had this 'freezing' happen to once yet. So I wonder then if it could be something else...

Freezing example.

Most commonly it happens when I wake the computer from sleep as I'm on the go a lot lately. So I'll open the lid, laptop starts up, sign in screen appears, sometimes the finger print reader will work when this issue happens sometimes I have to type my password in manual. It will load the desktop, I click on a few things and then it will freeze. Most commonly I check this by right away clicking on the start menu and then clicking the little side arrow next to shutdown and that will like load up 'half way' so it will appear semi transparent, its weird. But if it does that I no that I have to do a heard restart because its froze by that point and I can't click shutdown or anything else anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

It most likely is a software issue, try running Ccleaner registry to see what you get. 

I would say run Malwarebyts and a sfc.exe command from the cmd line.  

#3 ThePie69

ThePie69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

It most likely is a software issue, try running Ccleaner registry to see what you get. 

I would say run Malwarebyts and a sfc.exe command from the cmd line.  

Ya I've already been doing this for a long time. Doesn't help with anything.

#4 Combat_superman

Combat_superman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

your obviously better at this than me.. 

Edited by Combat_superman, 13 March 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#5 bignurse

bignurse

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

I have had the same problems with HP 2000 Notebook.  Came with 8 but was uupdated to 8.1. The Windows Module Installer Worker runs most of the time and frequently the computer sits at 90 to 99 % CPU usage for hours with the computer not responding until the Installer Worker stops and CPU usage goes below 10%. Right now it will not start programs when you click on the, offten hours before they mysteriosly start up.  It often takes days to install programs.  My last update was Google Chrome and it will not run, it starts partially and will not shut down even when I try to shut the computer down (have to force shut down on the computer) It took over 2 days before it would install RootsMagic for working on my genealogy. They told me to run SFC which then took 3 to 8 hours to run and showed no corrupted files. Can't turn the computer off frequently because keystrokes/mouse clicks are ignored. All cans for malware and Virus have been clean (when they run usuall take up to 8 hours if Installer Helper is running). Have been told that only cure is to re-install Windows but am not looking forward to the long process of updating from 8 to 8.1 again (took days last time).  Any suggestions on making it easier.  Tried to upgrade to 10 since if it didn't work it woould be no worse that re-installing Windows anyway but Microsoft would not allow it.  Nothing but errors including when downloading the iso image.

#6 ThePie69

ThePie69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:30 PM

I have had the same problems with HP 2000 Notebook.  Came with 8 but was uupdated to 8.1. The Windows Module Installer Worker runs most of the time and frequently the computer sits at 90 to 99 % CPU usage for hours with the computer not responding until the Installer Worker stops and CPU usage goes below 10%. Right now it will not start programs when you click on the, offten hours before they mysteriosly start up.  It often takes days to install programs.  My last update was Google Chrome and it will not run, it starts partially and will not shut down even when I try to shut the computer down (have to force shut down on the computer) It took over 2 days before it would install RootsMagic for working on my genealogy. They told me to run SFC which then took 3 to 8 hours to run and showed no corrupted files. Can't turn the computer off frequently because keystrokes/mouse clicks are ignored. All cans for malware and Virus have been clean (when they run usuall take up to 8 hours if Installer Helper is running). Have been told that only cure is to re-install Windows but am not looking forward to the long process of updating from 8 to 8.1 again (took days last time).  Any suggestions on making it easier.  Tried to upgrade to 10 since if it didn't work it woould be no worse that re-installing Windows anyway but Microsoft would not allow it.  Nothing but errors including when downloading the iso image.

Well first off I've been testing Windows 10 preview and its to buggy in my opinion for the general computer. Windows update in windows 10 is god awful last time I tested it and downloads everything under the sun without you being able to pick and choose or cancel it.

With that being said Win 8.1 64bit Pro is the fastest Windows OS out there right now. I used to think that win 7 would always be better but once I tweaked 8.1 one to work the way I liked I was impressed with it. Not to mention the 10 second decrease in boot time it provided my SSD with!

Now the one thing that is NOT working on 8.1 is this random start up which, at the time of posting this, I haven't had much of a issue with. Maybe the recent windows update I did a week ago might have cured it somehow. Only time will tell.

P.S. - I would advise to stick with Windows 8.1 until at least the stabile build of the consumer preview for Win 10 comes out which won't be till closer till its release which I think is in September of 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users