Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mindspark, other trojan viruses - two registry hijacks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 olympicbuilders

olympicbuilders

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

This computer has at least two viruses. Malwarebytes showed Mindspark with two registry value changes, Microsoft security essentials showed two Trojan viruses - I deleted them/quarantined them and not able to find the log which has their name.

Please help.

Acer Travelmate  5744

Intel® core ™ i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

RAM: 2.00GB (1.74 GB usable)

64 bit operating system

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

Edited by olympicbuilders, 12 March 2015 - 10:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 commandhat

commandhat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:53 PM

I've actually dealt with this same exact infection before, not even half a day ago. I've already removed it, but I'm not allowed to post removal advice... though I will say the thing you're infected with will not affect anything you download, so it isn't that hard to remove. Just persistent.

Edit: just in case other people come here from google since this seems to be a sudden widespread infection (sample size of 2, so I'm not sure this is widespread, but just in case) - if you get "ads by Round World" appearing on a Google Search, or something similar, then you have what this guy is infected with.

To help identify if you're affected, do a generic google search. After you get a page of results, you should see five additional ads pop up along with a light grey bar at the top of the page. A yellow box with ads in it is NOT an infection, though if you see more then three of them on the same page you might have a different infection.

Edited by commandhat, 11 March 2015 - 04:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users