Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Executables Disappearing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gaardyn

Gaardyn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

This morning, I went to open a PDF only to discover that SumatraPDF had disappeared. All of the other files in the installation directory were there, only the executable was missing. Wondering if perhaps it had somehow been quarantined by my anti-virus, I discovered that the same fate had befallen Panda Antivirus, all of the files were present except the primary executable. So far, I've noticed the same fate having befallen Winamp and Calibre as well, The bulk of my applications remain untouched, however.

The first thing I did was run a scan with a fresh installation of Malware Bytes but it didn't find anything. I then reinstalled Panda and that scan came up clean as well. I did a check disk on the C: drive but no disk errors were detected.

I had been contemplating doing a fresh install anyway (possibly switching Windows 8 to my faster primary hard drive as motivation to use it more) so I'll likely be doing that soon. (I have Ghost images of the drive, as well.) But I've never seen behavior quite like this before and would like to get to the bottom of it. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 itmonkey

itmonkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

Sorry no help here just a "me too".

I am having this same problem on a Windows 8 machine. Opened Quickbooks today and received some sort of dll error and then the executable deleted itself. I then downloaded rkill and a few other cleanup type tools which met the same fate when I attempted to run them. I thought maybe some sort of random file corruption had occurred until a Vista machine on the network started behaving identically. I've removed them from the network and am about to reload both out of fear that it may be some sort of infection that is spreading.

#3 itmonkey

itmonkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

Looks like it was Pandas fault all along.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/panda-antivirus-mistakenly-flags-itself-as-malware-breaks-pcs/

http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/homeusers/support/card?id=100045

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users