Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Victim Of Software Counterfeiting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:41 AM

hiya gang!

just wondered if anyone else is having this lovely problem...and what i can do about it???

3 years ago i bought my puter, complete with windows XP. a year or so later, i had a small problem with and called microsoft. i was informed that i had a "bundled" copy (one that is purchased by companies such as best buy, office depot, etc, then installed on puters they sell as a selling point, or courtesy, to their customers); and while it was a valid copy, it was NOT one covered by msn. if i wanted technical assistance, i would have to pay for it. ok, fine. (as i recall, it was the same problem that originally led me to find bc.com...so they actually did me a favor!)

NOW as a result of one of the updates, i've got this lovely icon in the run tray that pops up with annoying regularity telling me that i "may be a victim of software counterfeiting". when i turn the puter on, instead of the logon page, i get the message, again, that i "may be a victim of software counterfeiting". it holds my puter captive for 60 seconds or so. i can no longer install updates. it has an irritating habit of stealing my web pages and redirecting them to microsoft, only to tell me, yet again, that i "may be ...." etc, and offering to replace my software with a registered copy ......for a fee, of course. i'd like to know what happened to "may be"??? seems to me they've decided i HAVE BEEN. not only that, but that I'M going to pay for it. and of course the place i bought my puter is no longer in business...it's been 3 1/2 years.

is anyone else dealing with this, and is there anything we can do? if i have to pay for another copy of xp, i may as well buy the browser i want (although what this is, i'm honestly not sure!). so if no one has a simple solution to the problem, then some advice on a new browser (and how difficult it will be to switch) will be muchly appreciated.

hope all are well!

damgud

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 11:26 AM

Some perhaps useful info here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/55479/microsoft-draws-fire-for-stealth-test-program/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56889/microsoft-dials-back-genuine-advantage/
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

ddeerrff got it.
There is a thread at the MS forums specificly dealing with OEM versions of windows if your interested.
There's also this. Might want to read the "known issues".

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

have dl'ed the removal, will let you know what happens. thanx for the link!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users