Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update shows two updates need to be installed but already are

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

I installed all the updates last tuesday and two of them (while installed successfully ) keep popping up as needing to be installed.   This is happening when i run Secunia PSI as well .

The two are  Internet Explorer 11  updates 

KB3021952 and KB3032359 

Any ideas as to why ?

Thank you

Edited by herbman, 11 March 2015 - 11:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

Windows downloaded updates could be corrupted you can delete "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" directory which holds Windows updates cache. 

Close all running programs and save open files then open Command Prompt as a administrator type sc stop wuauserv  press Enter key. Type rd /s /q  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution press Enter key. Type Shutdown /r /t 2 press Enter key to restart your computer and after login to Windows check and install updates if needed.

Posted Image

#3 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

Windows downloaded updates could be corrupted you can delete "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" directory which holds Windows updates cache. 

Close all running programs and save open files then open Command Prompt as a administrator type sc stop wuauserv  press Enter key. Type rd /s /q  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution press Enter key. Type Shutdown /r /t 2 press Enter key to restart your computer and after login to Windows check and install updates if needed.

To clarify these instructions:

1) net stop wuauserv (Run in an elevated command prompt.)

2) Delete %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution as FreeBooter mentions above

3) net start wuauserv (No restart needed)

4) wuauclt.exe /detectnow (Run in an elevated command prompt.)

I installed all the updates last tuesday and two of them (while installed successfully ) keep popping up as needing to be installed.   This is happening when i run Secunia PSI as well .

The two are  Internet Explorer 11  updates 

KB3021952 and KB3032359 

Any ideas as to why ?

Thank you

KB3021952

• Originally released on February 10th 2015
  • May have already been installed as it was apart of a cumulative Security patch for IE.
  • Does automatically install KB3023607 and KB 3036197

KB3032359

• Released March 10th 2015
  • Does automatically install KB3040335 and KB3023607

By running the command WUAUCLT.EXE / DetectNow, you're telling the Windows Update Service to refresh and download the latest list of updates. Keep in mind clicking the link to check for updates (In the Control Panel) while this command or another WUAUCLT command is active will not be processed by the Windows Update Service until it re-enters the "ready" state. Alternatively, you can check some of the Windows Updates logs to diagnose further. There are guides as to this.

Edited by nate302, 11 March 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:17 PM

Thanks guys ,  i uninstalled them a few different times and Secunia shows 100% but when i hit scan again those two updates keep coming back as not installed alhough they are .

If i just check for updates using windows update it never picks those two up , it seems content that they are already installed , it's Secunia that keeps digging them up .

Never had this happen with Secunia , maybe it's their problem .    Funny that those internet explorer updates don't show in the initial group of updates from tuesday .

I have to scan quite a few extra times with Secunia and then they pop up .

Secunia has been at 100% for months until the latest batch of updates , it's only those internet explorer updates that seem to pop up but why now ? 

1h0YYJf.jpg?1

zloYFO5.png?1

I always receive the bottom pic well after i already installed them lol,  it's always the same exact two but they are already installed ,  about to heave computer through window , what a major pita , somebody just kill me already , can't take it much longer.

Edited by herbman, 11 March 2015 - 04:35 PM.

#5 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Keep in mind that while viewing your list of Windows updates that have installed or failed can help you to diagnose Windows updates, it is by no means reliable. You may have an inconsistency in what is actually installed vs what Windows update believes to be installed.

To diagnose this and fix this, I'd recommend running the Windows update readiness tool.

Windows 7 (x86): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181491

Windows 7 (x64): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181492

Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64 Only): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=181494

For Windows 8 or Server 2012/R2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Furthermore, it might not be a bad idea to dig through your Windows update logs (as updates are applied prior to boot-up and this is why an inconsistency can occur because it is a completely separate process)

Edited by nate302, 11 March 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thank you , appreciate it .

#7 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

Thank you , appreciate it .

You're welcome.

#8 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

I recall getting assistance about a year ago from Microsoft community and one of the guys had me download and run the readiness tool at that time.   Didn't really get anywhere i don't believe but i finished downloading it again above .

Little confused about the win 7 64 bit sp1 download (which i went with) and the  windows server 2008 R2 x64 though , how would i tell if i needed the second option ?

I am running win 7 64 bit SP1 so i think i got it right .

Thank you again.

Edited by herbman, 11 March 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#9 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:48 PM

I recall getting assistance about a year ago from Microsoft community and one of the guys had me download and run the readiness tool at that time.   Didn't really get anywhere i don't believe but i finished downloading it again above .

Little confused about the win 7 64 bit sp1 download (which i went with) and the  windows server 2008 R2 x64 though , how would i tell if i needed the second option ?

I am running win 7 64 bit SP1 so i think i got it right .

Thank you again.

I just linked those for future visitors. You only need to download the one appropriate for your system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Scroll down the list.

If you are unsure of which OS you have:

1. Open the Control Panel
  2. Change view to classic view (small/large icons)
  3. Open "System"
  4. Alternatively you can right-click "Computer" if it is on your Start-Menu and select Properties.
  5. Look for the OS Name and weather or not the Operating System is 32 or 64 Bit. An example would be Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit.

#10 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Nate , all right here is the latest screenshot of whats installed ,   Secunia keeps giving me those two updates so i just downloaded them and now Secunia is 100% and no issues .

As you can see , the only thing that has worked to avoid constant update reminders was to download (two) identical updates and you can see the readiness tool is there as well.

My question is,    is this OK or should i continue to try and figure it out.

rywN52G.jpg?1

Oh, i actually have both explorer updates installed twice , see the other (KB3032359) down near the bottom? 

Edited by herbman, 11 March 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#11 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Nate , all right here is the latest screenshot of whats installed ,   Secunia keeps giving me those two updates so i just downloaded them and now Secunia is 100% and no issues .

As you can see , the only thing that has worked to avoid constant update reminders was to download (two) identical updates and you can see the readiness tool is there as well.

My question is,    is this OK or should i continue to try and figure it out.

rywN52G.jpg?1

Oh, i actually have both explorer updates installed twice , see the other (KB3032359) down near the bottom? 

• The above screenshot is the WUAUSERV log, it does not reflect what is or isn't installed.
  • To view installed updates, use Programs and Features => View installed updates.
    • To search for a specific update, it is much easier to search for the KB#. Use the format of KB#######.
  • When a machine updates, some updates must be installed with the user logged off and some require a full restart so that updates can be applied prior to Windows loading resources.
    • If a machine fails on either stage of "applying" updates, WUAUSERV may not always be aware. This doesn't happen often, but it has proven to be an annoyance from time to time.
  • For help viewing the log, this article helps. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
  • A good resource for troubleshooting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Edited by nate302, 11 March 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#12 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

Ok, thanks  , here is whats installed , i just don't get this stuff , very appreciative of the assistance though.

Don't know why the internet explorer updates are not showing here .

3Pv7tnv.jpg?1

Edited by herbman, 11 March 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#13 nate302

nate302

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:30 PM

Ok, thanks  , here is whats installed , i just don't get this stuff , very appreciative of the assistance though.

Don't know why the internet explorer updates are not showing here .

3Pv7tnv.jpg?1

Do  a search for the KB. Sometimes you'll find IE updates listed under the Windows category.

#14 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hello,

Can you please post the results of the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT). Please upload the contents of both logs:
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

#15 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-03-11 19:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 187
 No errors detected

Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.22471
Package Version 26.0
2015-03-11 19:32

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 187
 No errors detected

CkExkuh.jpg?1

jKycE4d.png?1

I don't know if i did it right , if i didn't please let me know.  Thanks

Edited by herbman, 12 March 2015 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users