Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to add a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Me45805

Me45805

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hello, I am trying to add a new hard drive to my computer.  The hard drive is not showing up under Disk Management, but shows up fine on another computer.  Here are the specs of my computer:

Win 7 Pro 64-bit Desktop

Saphire Radeon HD 7970

Core i7 3770k

16GB DDR3 2133 RAM

DVD-RW Drive

ASRock Extreme6 1155 Motherboard

Mushkin 250GB SSD

Samsung 500GB SSD

Toshiba 3TB HDD

AZZA Dynamo 850W PSU

I am trying to add a WD 3TB Black Series Hard Drive.  It works in another computer, shows up under disk management, but when I connect it back to my computer, nothing happens.  Does not show up under disk management.  I can hear and feel it spin up, so I know it is getting power.  What's going on?

I had sent the original WD Black drive back because I thought it was defective, but now the second did the same thing, so I then tested it in the other computer.  That should bring you up to speed.

Also, I have tried installing a different hard drive into the same port on my computer, and that one worked fine.  It was a 1TB 2.5" HDD instead of a 3.5" HDD, but I do not think that should make a difference.  Not with the overhead I have from the power supply.  

To my knowledge, there should not be a storage size limit in Windows for the number of HDDs that can be connected.

Anybody have any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hello, and Welcome

When you boot with the 3TB WD attached is it detected in UEFI? Is it detected if you use the port of the 3TB Toshiba?

Edit: Use the power and data cables from the Toshiba drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 March 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#3 Me45805

Me45805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I am not at my computer right now, but I will be this evening.  I'll check the UEFI and let you know as soon as I can.  If other drives are detected in the same port where the WD Black drive is not, it should not make a difference whether or not it is detected in the Toshiba port right?  It has to be a problem with the drive and my computer, potentially starting at the UEFI.  I'll check that first and let you know.

Thanks again!

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Are you sure it doesn't show up under disk management and have  offline ' next to it?  You will need to be logged in as administrator to do this.

#5 Me45805

Me45805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

It definitely did not show up under Disk Management. 

I did manage to get it working for me though.  What I had to do was move the Toshiba 3TB and the new WD Black drive to different SATA ports on my mobo.  I have the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard.  It has two SATA3 6 GB/S ports that are labeled with A1 and A2.  When either of the two 3TB hard drives were connected to that port, one would not show up in the UEFI at all.  When I moved them both off of those ports, both showed up just fine.  I am currently trying to find an answer as to why this is.  If anybody has a suggestion/answer, please drop me a link.

I do not have anything plugged into the eSATA port on the back which would eliminate the use of the A2 port according to the manual.  As far as I can tell, they should have worked just fine.  Regardless, it is working now, I would just like to know why.

Thanks for the help.  Looking in the UEFI pointed me in the right direction.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

The grey connectors are for SATA 3 (6gb/sec transfers) interface do both of those hard drives you have support SATA 3?

If they do then you may want to contact Asrock and find out why you cannot connect your drives to them and have them show up in the bios.  Maybe you need a bios update?

Otherwise you will be running at SATA2 3gb/sec speed.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

I looked at the MB manual. Two of the SATA3 ports are intel and the other two are ASMedia. I believe the ports labeled A1 and A2 are ASmedia ports. There is a ASmedia driver on their website. I don't know if installing it would help or not. There is also a utility listed as ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.1.1  I am not sure what that is used for. A 3TB disk can be fully detected if formated GPT.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

I looked at the manual .. and the quick start guide .. whats funny is the manual is like 85 pages and the quick start guide is 256 .. I found that funny anyway if both your drives support SATA 3 I would connect them to the ATA 0 and ATA 1 headers.. the top two of the grey set. That way you don't have to worry about ATA 2 sharing the port with the external header.

#9 Me45805

Me45805
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

I have confirmed the top 2 SATA3 6Gb/S ports are for the ASmedia.  They are labeled A1 and A2 I believe.  Traditional HDDs cannot fully utilize those ports, and cannot fully utilize the SATA2 3GB/S ports either according to what I've read.  My 7200RPM HDDs transfer at speeds right around the 140-150MB/S mark according to my benchmark program (can't think of it's name right now).  

I can go into my UEFI and disable the ASmedia mode from the looks of it, but I have not tested the ports to verify this.  Things are working now and performance is not hindered on a HDD by using the SATA2 3GB/S ports.  SATA2 should support up to 375MB/S if my math is right.  Quite frankly I did not test further because I was done/tired of moving things around in my case (there is a lot in there).  

Thanks again for all the help.  I do not require any more assistance at this time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users