Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help determining if my system is ok

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 cook2465

cook2465

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

For the past several months (starting just before Christmas)  I have gone through and insured that my system is clean of viruses, Trojans, etc. It has been approximately a month since this was competed and I was told that my system is clean.  My son had ignored my warnings and without my knowledge tried to download something illegally and brought in a crack hacker tool ( I think that is what it was called)  Since then the performance has gone down and I' would like to find out if there is any way to make sure that everything in my computer - hardware, software, files, registry, etc is ok and that there is nothing either missing, damaged or corrupted.  My computer loads very slowly (it has gotten a bit better once I used the 'grime fighter' from Avast) but I notice that programs load very slowly and will say not responding for a while before they start working.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit
I have Miscrosoft Security Essentials and Avast as well as Windows Firewall running on my computer.  I try to scan with those as well as the free version of Malwarebytes to keep everything clean.

Another think I have noticed recently is when I boot the computer up, sometimes it does so VERY slowly and as soon as it is done and I'm tryiing to start working, suddenly it will log itself off - (blue screen with logging off.....)

Can you please help me or direct me to the forum that can help?  Thank yo so much!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected to explore the possibility of malware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit
I have Miscrosoft Security Essentials and Avast as well as Windows Firewall running on my computer.  I try to scan with those as well as the free version of Malwarebytes to keep everything clean.

You only need one antivirus.
The fact that you have 2 of them could a contributing factor in the slowness. You should uninstall one of them.

For more information read post #2, the section which has IMPORTANT NOTE
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

#3 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:22 AM

I have been running those for the past three years and have been told by the last person who helped me make sure my system was clean that they do not conflict with each other.  These are not the problem especially since they were running before the problem occurred and the system was very quick and running well. 

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

Your choice whether to use both of them at the same time.
I did move your post to Am I Infected so it can be determined if you are infected again.

#5 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

ok, thank you.  I will wait to hear what to do next.  Once that is determined, is there a way to check everything else to find out if there are any key elements within my system that may be damaged corrupt or missing?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

so if I remove, which do you recommend keeping - Avast?  i like how user-friendly it is and it is the paid version.  what about windows firewall which came installed.  Can I do those together?

#8 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

also, can I used a program called advanced uninstall to remove those things I need to?  it scans for files and registry keys and it was recommended since it gets everything. 

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:52 AM

Cook, I take it one anti-virus has real protections on, and the other only runs scheduled or on-demand scans, correct?

BC techs are spot on!  One cannot have two anti-virus programs with real time protections running against each other.

You used Avast Grime Fighter, after it told you there were "X-number" of problems, were you given an option to select which grimes to fix?  I've used Avast for several years now, and Grime-Fighter is something new to me.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:05 PM

so if I remove, which do you recommend keeping - Avast?  i like how user-friendly it is and it is the paid version.  what about windows firewall which came installed.  Can I do those together?

I have been using Avast for the last year and like it.  You can use the Windows firewall, but Avast has a firewall included in the paid version.

Grimefighter is a optimization software, this is a type of software which Bleeping Computer does not suggest the use of.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

shoot, my computer did it this morning.  I had scheduled it a long time ago, it never worked so I asked for a refund then all of a sudden this morning it did it when I needed to get online.   I don't really know what it did.  i haven't been able to find a log yet for it. 

So if i remove all except Avast (paid version) how do i shut off all the default notifications that I will keep getting because of turning off windows firewall.

Also, are you familiar with Win Patrol free?  That was something else that was recommended.  I do like it because it has alerted me to some issues that i was able to stop - or is that more of an annoyance and I can trust that Avast has everything covered?  These are so hard to navigate to normal computer users - opinions are so subjective I'm finding.  I just want to make sure that i'm covered because i have had some issues in the past.  Once this is all figured out is there a way to find out if all my programs, files etc are ok or if there are any missing damaged or corrupt programs or files,etc.??

what is the best method to completely remove these programs?  Which ones should/can I remove?

Edited by cook2465, 11 March 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:01 PM

You should be able to go to the Control Panel and disable the MSE.

You need to understand that there is no single program out there which is going to cover all of the bases as far as protecting your computer from infections.  A good antivirus and firewall are the  essentials, a good antimalware like Malwarebytes will round out most of your needs.  The free version isn't active, but the paid version is and in my opinion is worth it.

Because I'm enrolled in the Malware Removal Training I can not assist you is running scans to see if there is any malware or viruses.  I will ask on of our moderators who frequents this forum to see if they will help you.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

"...Grimefighter is a optimization software, this is a type of software which Bleeping Computer does not suggest the use of..."  Thanks dc3!  You confirmed what I only suspected.  I will keep my GrimeFighter OFF.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 March 2015 - 01:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:11 PM

Cook, you mentioned WinPatrol.  I've used WinPatrol [along with TaskCatcher] for some time now.   Ruiware recently added WinPrivacy, best to wait a year for the third one.  Like Spybot's TeaTimer, WinPatrol alerts you when certain configuration changes are "waiting in the wings," 'cause WinPatrol pops up, and gives you the choice to accept or decline the change "waiting in the wings." Pop ups get in your face during installs.

You probably don't need it.  Because I like carrier-like bootups/radar monitoring -- I use WP & TC.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 March 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:20 PM

cook2465,

I've requested some help for this topic.  At this time I would suggest not adding anything to the computer in the way of software.  If there is malware, this needs to be addressed first.  Adding software or running unrequested scans can exacerbate the situation.  Please wait until you are sure your computer is clean before doing anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users