Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Image errors and "The parameter is incorrect" errors.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cohensalve

Cohensalve

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

What happened:

I was about to allow the Flash plugin in Pale Moon web browser to load a Flash youtube video when numerous pop-up windows stating "Bad Image" errors appeared. Some Bad Image errors are related to a .dll, 1 was related to Panda Antivirus Free which I have installed.

I panicked and immediately rebooted my laptop. After rebooting, I couldn't open any programs at all. A pop-up window will appear, stating the full path of the program and then state "The parameter is incorrect.".

I can still open Microsoft related stuff such as Control Panel, Command Prompt etc.

I tried running sfc \scannow, but it keeps getting stuck at 76%, stating "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heyitsrick

Heyitsrick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

This very same thing happened to me today, although it had nothing to do with running Flash.  I did some Windows Updates (they fixed the Freak vulnerability) and there were a bunch of other important and optional updates that I installed as well.  Rebooted.  Logged in.  No problems.  My wife has her own account on this computer, so she logged me off, logged on, did a couple emails, and logged off.  When I logged back on, I got all kinds of popups about bad images and parameter being incorrect, etc.

I tried to run System Restore but it wouldn't load.  Rebooted to Safe Mode with Command prompt and tried to run "rstrui.exe" as outlined in online instructions.  Windows couldn't find it.  I ran "explorer.exe" from the command line and it brought up the GUI, and from there I ran System Restore to a restore point from yesterday, before any updates or issues.

Restoring to yesterday's files did not help.

Opened up My Computer and right-clicked on my C: Drive (windows drive) and scheduled a Chkdsk with repair (not bad sector repair, though, as that takes forever).  I rebooted.  Chkdsk ran and found no errors.

Had to leave for work.  So that's where I'm at.  But it's interesting that you're getting this today just as I am.  

I'm thinking - but won't be able to check this until later - that the registry setting for opening exe files has been changed/hijacked/corrupted.  Here's one way to fix it, although this won't work if you can't open regedit.exe.  I've read where if you make a copy of regedit.exe, save it to your desktop, and then rename it to regedit.com, you may be able to open it.  (right-click on it and open as administrator).  At that point, I would follow the instructions here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2688326

Edited by Heyitsrick, 11 March 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#3 Aaron Tague

Aaron Tague

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

Panda sent out an update that is causing MAJOR issues.

Here is a discussion on Spiceworks forum: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/835407-panda-security-hosing-computers?page=1#entry-4394130

And Panda's Twitter page: https://twitter.com/Panda_Security/

No fix as of yet

#4 Heyitsrick

Heyitsrick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

Panda sent out an update that is causing MAJOR issues.

Here is a discussion on Spiceworks forum: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/835407-panda-security-hosing-computers?page=1#entry-4394130

And Panda's Twitter page: https://twitter.com/Panda_Security/

No fix as of yet

I can absolutely attest to having Panda Free on my PC. Thank you for posting this!  Unfortunately, Panda is apparently telling people not to reboot.  Too late.

#5 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

Okay, my laptop resolved itself ( I think ).  Out of sheer desperation just now, I attempted to boot into safe mode to do a sfc /scannow, but safe mode refuses to be booted, it hangs midway.

I thought this would be the end, but after rebooting, I just let Startup Repair do its thing and it restored to a point where some programs can be run. I frantically copied as many important files I could to an external drive, and lo and behold, after I completed the backup (which took around 15min), all programs were able to be used again.

Thanks for the confirmation on the relation with Panda Security. Makes me a little concerned about their updating processes..

#6 Heyitsrick

Heyitsrick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

As of 8:30pm today, I got home and rebooted my pc.  Some programs are working, but others aren't - missing dll files, etc.  Panda, itself, won't work, so I don't know how this supposed "fix" they have concocted is going to change anything when the program won't start.  I'm thinking I need to reinstall Panda and hope I can see quarantined files.  If not, I'll have reinstall programs.  Just did that with Google Chrome.

#7 Cohensalve

Cohensalve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:17 AM

@Heyitsrick : Did you attempt to System Restore to an earlier state besides the most recent one ? Mine seems to work fine after a System Restore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users