Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

newly built pc crashing

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

No error message, no blue screen just freezes then restarts.

here is the dmp file http://www.filedropper.com/031015-25531-01

My specs are :
CPU : AMD FX 6300
MOBA: M5A78L-M
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: XFX RADEON R9 290

PSU: EVGA 600W

Edited by ivanbonilla, 11 March 2015 - 03:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:20 AM

Hello ivanbonilla!

After some basic googling it looks like it's a hardware issue. Check your BIOS for the correct CPU and memory timings (If you're overclocking revert back to the recommended settings!)

I couldn't do this job without my coffee and vape.

#3 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:25 AM

Hello ivanbonilla!

After some basic googling it looks like it's a hardware issue. Check your BIOS for the correct CPU and memory timings (If you're overclocking revert back to the recommended settings!)

Sorry, I'm kind of a noob. How exactly do you do that? My brother built this pc for me. He didn't overclock or anything like that.

Edited by ivanbonilla, 11 March 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#4 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

Ivan I'm currently working on a post, while consulting some of the staff more experienced than I. I'll post again when I have it done.

#5 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:14 AM

Note: This is something that requires some technical knowledge, and while I can help you're going to have to figure some of this out on your own.

The first thing that you need to do is get the exact model number of the CPU and memory you are using. Once you have the model look up the timings, for example lets say you have:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

You'd search Google for "F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL" and find the vendors website.  Somewhere on the website would be the timings, for G-Skill it's under specifications and this model's timings are "9-9-9-24-2N." You'd do basically the same for the processor (could have many more timings).

Regarding ram timings and what each number stands for though these numbers are for older ram, and modern ram has different numbers (Shamelessly stolen from Rimmer's Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC ):

2-3-2-6-1T

• The first number (2) is CL, the CAS Latency. This value has the most effect on system performance. It is usually 2, 2.5 or 3 for DDR memory.
  • The second number (3) is TRCD, the RAS to CAS delay. Not as critical as CL, it is usually 2,3 or 4 for DDR memory.
  • The third number (2) is TRP, the RAS Precharge delay. This value has similar effects to TRCD.
  • The fourth number (6) is TRAS, the Active to Precharge delay. This value affects stability more than performance. Typically between 5 and 8 for DDR memory.
  • The last figure (1T) is the Command Rate and is often omitted, as it is almost always 1T. For slow RAM it would be 2T. Strangely some overclockers get very good results by deliberately setting the Command Rate to 2T even with low latency RAM as it allows them more flexibility when tweaking the other latencies and bus speeds.

After you have the timings you'd enter into your BIOS, input the timings and save the configuration, but we'll get there.

For now just post the model numbers you have and we'll figure out your timings.

Edited by ChaseWheeler, 11 March 2015 - 04:16 AM.

#6 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Note: This is something that requires some technical knowledge, and while I can help you're going to have to figure some of this out on your own.

The first thing that you need to do is get the exact model number of the CPU and memory you are using. Once you have the model look up the timings, for example lets say you have:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

You'd search Google for "F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL" and find the vendors website.  Somewhere on the website would be the timings, for G-Skill it's under specifications and this model's timings are "9-9-9-24-2N." You'd do basically the same for the processor (could have many more timings).

Regarding ram timings and what each number stands for though these numbers are for older ram, and modern ram has different numbers (Shamelessly stolen from Rimmer's Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC ):

2-3-2-6-1T

• The first number (2) is CL, the CAS Latency. This value has the most effect on system performance. It is usually 2, 2.5 or 3 for DDR memory.
  • The second number (3) is TRCD, the RAS to CAS delay. Not as critical as CL, it is usually 2,3 or 4 for DDR memory.
  • The third number (2) is TRP, the RAS Precharge delay. This value has similar effects to TRCD.
  • The fourth number (6) is TRAS, the Active to Precharge delay. This value affects stability more than performance. Typically between 5 and 8 for DDR memory.
  • The last figure (1T) is the Command Rate and is often omitted, as it is almost always 1T. For slow RAM it would be 2T. Strangely some overclockers get very good results by deliberately setting the Command Rate to 2T even with low latency RAM as it allows them more flexibility when tweaking the other latencies and bus speeds.

After you have the timings you'd enter into your BIOS, input the timings and save the configuration, but we'll get there.

For now just post the model numbers you have and we'll figure out your timings.

Here my info on my cpu and ram from cpu-z

cpu.png

ram_1.png

ram_2.png

#7 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Ironically I can play BF4 on ultra settings fullscreen without it crashing but as soon as i try to play other games like dota or counterstrike and even browse the internet it crashes.

#8 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:19 PM

Uhg, Just typed this on my phone and lost it, here's take 2 from my computer.

Ok, So I'm not terribly experienced with CPU-Z, but now we have our model numbers, and some example timings. I'll look up what the vendor specified timings are, and in the mean time you can look up what you computer is currently running at.

To do this we're going to have to access the BIOS.

Make sure that you do not save any changes! We're just checking the current settings at this point!

The BIOS is the Basic Input/Output System, and it's the first software to run on your computer. It's job is to start up the hardware, and run it with the settings you set (or are preset). Some BIOS's allow you to change many settings, and some such as voltage supplied to components can damage your hardware, because of this it's extremely important that you don't change these settings unless you know what they do, and you know what your hardware was designed for.

Follow these instructions to get your BIOS settings: (Please note that we're going to have to turn off the computer, so either print these directions or open this thread on a smart phone/other device.)
  • Shut down your computer.
  • Press the power button on your computer to turn it on and watch the screen. Usually in a corner you'll see short instructions on how to access your BIOS. Usually it looks like "Setup - F2."
  • Press the key designated for opening the BIOS. The Asus BIOS could look like any of these. If you see Windows starting instead of the BIOS, then let Windows finish booting and shut down the computer and try again until you get into the BIOS. (If you don't see "Setup - F2" or something similar when you first turn on your computer try pressing F2, F8, or F12. Those are the most common.)
  • Once you have accessed the BIOS take pictures of every screen. Make sure to take pictures clear enough so that the options and settings can be viewed.
  • After taking pictures exit the BIOS Without saving any configurations! To do this usually the far right tab is called "Exit." Go to this tab and select "Exit without saving."
  • After booting back into Windows please post the pictures either with Imgur or attach them to this thread.

After getting that information we'll go ahead and put the correct settings into your BIOS and that should hopefully fix the issue!

#9 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:08 AM

sorry I've been busy but here they are

http://imgur.com/jreWG80,bCYt1a4,ZQ6ib7n,c1GGpcW,DY5PR0x,tqtc9Al,1cWJNbs,NafNgax,EMpbQVP,aig5WXo,CksGJMO,yVWe0ym,rlgKBtt,QLOit9Q,riXF0UQ,esInmkx,N6MjY4r#0

Edited by ivanbonilla, 13 March 2015 - 01:11 AM.

#10 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

Wonderful!

On the "Advanced" tab there's a setting that's called "DRAM Timing Configuration" Can you change or view that at all?

#11 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

Yes I can I'll post the photo in a minute

#12 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

http://i.imgur.com/JBY9nB8.jpg

#13 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:12 AM

Good, good. So one last thing I want to check before putting in the right settings. On the "Main" page there's the "System Information" can you take a picture of that too?

#14 ivanbonilla

ivanbonilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:42 AM

Good, good. So one last thing I want to check before putting in the right settings. On the "Main" page there's the "System Information" can you take a picture of that too?

There you go. http://imgur.com/uTyEpLV

#15 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:36 AM

If there is anything that you do not understand completely in this post then let me know before you take any of the steps outlined in the post!

Ok! I was hoping for that picture to have the memory speed in it but we'll get that while testing stability.

So your memory is the G-Skill Ripjaw F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Model. On the specification tab of the vendors site they say your timings are 9-9-9-24-2N. If we look at the info from Rimmer's Understanding, Identifying and Upgrading the RAM in your PC and match up our numbers we get this.

The first number (9) is CL, the CAS Latency.
The second number (9) is TRCD, the RAS to CAS delay.
The third number (9) is TRP, the RAS Precharge delay.
The fourth number (24) is TRAS, the Active to Precharge delay.
The last figure (2N) is the Command Rate.
Ok, on to the settings part!

Please note: Read this entire post before making any changes! Changing these settings has the potential to be dangerous. Consider these modifications to be "unstable" until tested with the diagnostic tool listed at the end of the post. I encourage you to research this topic yourself to verify that I am not leading you astray, or making any mistakes!

Only change the settings directed!
  • Go to the "DRAM Timing Configuration" page in your BIOS.
  • Change the setting "DRAM CAS# Latency" from [Auto] to 9.
  • Change the setting "DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay" from [Auto] to 9.
  • Change the setting "DRAM RAS# PRE Time" from [Auto] to 9.
  • Change the setting "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" from [Auto] to 24.
  • Change the setting "DRAM Command Rate" from [Auto] to 2N. (If 2N is not available then leave it as it is.)
After changing only those settings mentioned double check that the settings changed are set to the settings specified, and that all other settings are on [Auto]. Once you have verified all the settings on the "DRAM Timing Configuration" page are correct exit the BIOS saving changes.

After saving the changes do not boot into Windows! Immediately test your memory following Billy O'Neal's Tutorial "How to Test your RAM". While the diagnostic tool is running take a picture of the screen (make sure that all of the information can be clearly viewed). Be sure to have the test run at least 1 full time before booting into Windows. I encourage you to leave the diagnostic tool running overnight if possible, the tool will run until the machine is restarted.

Keep me updated with your progress! Good luck!

If there is anything that you do not understand completely in this post then let me know before you take any of the steps outlined in the post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users