Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jenninboise

Jenninboise

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

Just as Combofix was completing I got this message:

Unable to create a backup of the current registry file c:\windows\system32\config\system ! Continue restoration of this file?

Do I click yes or no?

A little background: I have used Combofix many times with no issues. On this particular system, I used it yesterday, then had to do a system restore to a previous date. I re-ran Avast, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, and then Combofix. This is the first time I've seen this warning and I don't know how to answer. 

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by quietman7, 11 March 2015 - 04:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

Hello Jennifer,

Please Read - Combofix's Disclaimer. (as above by Alex)

There is no other written guide, and only Qualified Experts are allowed to use the tool.

If you need help please see below ...

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide .

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running "FRST" which will create two logs.

When you have done that, Post your logs (as directed) in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs , then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them.
A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, to prevent others answering incorrectly.

Thank You -

This topic may be locked as it is a repeat of the original post -

Edited by noknojon, 11 March 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:28 AM

I have already responded in your other topic here. Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues when asking for and receiving assistance elsewhere. Further, it necessitates staff spending time with housecleaning to remove or close those duplicate postings...time which could have been provided to others needing assistance.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff

To avoid confusion this thread is closed and moved to the appropriate forum. If you have any questions, please PM me or another Moderator.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users