Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compiz-Config

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a tutorial on how to use compiz-config correctly! I know it does some pretty cool stuff but I can't seem to figure it out-????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

Compiz Effects and Tutorial for Unity 12.04 , Unity Dark

Compiz Cube Tutorial: Howto Ubuntu Linux

WARNING

You can really mess up your PC settings using compiz. Go slowly, Do one thing at a time, Remember what you did, Where you did it, and have backups.

Edited by NickAu, 11 March 2015 - 12:17 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:30 AM

Well - i am not having much luck with this- I am watching the videos as pertaining to Ubuntu- and I assume the same should work in Linux Mint- but even with the SHOW mouse option,following the directions,nothing happens. Is there something I need to download or install?

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

Don't forget Compiz is a little out of date..i don't believe its even in development anymore.... maybe not for 2+yrs  

So some things may not work so good anymore or at all due to other development changes within your desktop and OS

some people use Compton, Kwin (drags in some KDE dependencies) or xcompmgr,  Cairo_Compmgr   .....though some of these do little more than drop shadows etc.

Ubuntu was heading / supporting the new Wayland -Weston approach..(weston being the composting) ....I run Openbox desktop so don't show much interest in following the latest developments in Composting..

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

Well, that really sucks! I am running Linux Mint Mate 17.1 and Zorin on another partition. The components of Compiz,like the Cube,the Sphere and a couple of other effects are part of the reason I wanted Linux.I have seen some tutuorials on YOUTUBE that apply to Mint 13 so I can't imagine why it would not work in Zorin or Mint Mate 17.1. It also seems like a rather nefarious application as I have not yet found a real,concise,tutorial on how to use it. With all the Linux Zealots out there you would think someone would know! Any THoughts?

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Have you installed a graphics driver specific to your card yet, or are you still using the one that was installed from the DVD?

If the latter, then I would go to "additional drivers" in Mint and see what it recommends.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

All I know about are the ones on the DVD- I'll look and see if I can find them.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Where do I find "additional drivers" in Mint?

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:31 PM

Click on the LM icon in the bottom left corner of screen, then System then Driver manager, A box will open up and show you what drivers you have and any propriety drivers that are available.

newdriver.png

Edited by NickAu, 11 March 2015 - 09:33 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Nick- Ok I found that and there were no additional drivers available- however- I did find this- I wish I knew how to do a screenshot and post it- In the Welcome Screen in Linux Mint 7.1 right at the top there is an icon that says new features- and guess what? The first thing listed is Compiz. It is pre-configured right out of the box-all you have to do is enable Compiz in Desktop Preferences and Voila'! It is still supported,and rightly so I think! Not only does it look cool but has some practical applications that are pretty neat. I am still learning the command sequences,but now it is working! It was right under my nose the whole time! I'm a happy camper! I am pretty sure it works this way in zorin also,but haven't booted into it yet, probably  will in a while!

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:10 PM

I wish I knew how to do a screenshot and post it

On Linux mint to take a screenshot press the Print Screen button then save the image.

Next please read this how to post a screenshot by Stolen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?p=3386653

Or

How to post a screen shot Linux style.

Edited by NickAu, 11 March 2015 - 11:11 PM.

Arch Linux .

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:28 PM

Thanks Nick- I remember years ago I had to do the same thing with a website car club-Nissan Xterra- thanks for the link- I will refresh my memory and get up to speed with the rest of you guys!

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

I did find this- I wish I knew how to do a screenshot and post it- In the Welcome Screen in Linux Mint 7.1 right at the top there is an icon that says new features- and guess what? The first thing listed is Compiz. It is pre-configured right out of the box-all you have to do is enable Compiz in Desktop Preferences and Voila'! It is still supported,and rightly so I think! Not only does it look cool but has some practical applications that are pretty neat.

I was just going to mention this: all you have to do is enable Compiz in Desktop Preferences  Yes it is quite irritating not to be able to find this type of info easily, arrggg linux.  Don't forget, "google is your friend" and almost always go to linuxmint.com next.  If you will look here you will see the directions that you just learned, above the fourth screenshot: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_rebecca_mate_whatsnew.php

I find some of these websites maddening to navigate lol, I guess we can't complain for free right.  I think compiz is fine, but many have issues because they are trying to use it with graphics that don't fully support it.  I highly suggest to install Timeshift and learn how to use it so that you can revert if you run into troubles.  Then you can enjoy your experience without worry.  Here is the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562190/how-to-restore-your-ubuntu-linux-system-to-its-previous-state/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:13 PM

paul88ks, also, if you want a highly configurable OS - check out Mint KDE-17.1.  Warning though, it is not as user friendly as Mate, and, has many hidden functions that you will need help finding lol.  I use it though and I am not real sharp with all this stuff.  Take a look this link Al000 provide us: http://www.itworld.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html

Just food for thought, perhaps Mate is a better place to start as it was with me, but like this better now I think.  There is also a dedicated KDE website: https://www.kde.org/  Including linuxmint.com!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:17 PM

paul88ks, also, if you want a highly configurable OS - check out Mint KDE-17.1.  Warning though, it is not as user friendly as Mate, and, has many hidden functions that you will need help finding lol.  I use it though and I am not real sharp with all this stuff.  Take a look this link Al000 provide us: http://www.itworld.com/article/2881172/survey-says-kde-plasma-is-the-most-popular-desktop-linux-environment.html

Just food for thought, perhaps Mate is a better place to start as it was with me, but like this better now I think.  There is also a dedicated KDE website: https://www.kde.org/  Including linuxmint.com!

pcpunk- thanks for the info- I checked out the links and was a little surprised that there are SO MANY distros of Linux. After this state ment,I will have to start a new topic, I have never heard of Slackware before and had gotten so frustrated with the distros already discussed that I reconfigured my entire machine- I now have installed in this order- Windows7Home Premium/ZorinOS9/Ubuntu14.4/Linux Mint Mate 17.1/and Peach OSI/. I have them all lined up so I can see which one I like best.Now -I am going to download Slackware and install it on another Drive,or at least run it Live untill I see what it does.There are several features I would like to "yank" out of each one to make a custom machine for my needs,But in the meantime- I have a lot of work to do! More topics coming up!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users