Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive crash and no restore disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wyldcat117

Wyldcat117

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:36 PM

recently my ASUS r704a notebook's hard drive crashed big time. it was running windows 8 and the oem didn't ship any software with it nor did i make the system image discs like i should have. its got an i5 processor, 4 gigs of ram, and a big screen. i can replace the hard drive easy enuff but i am at loss with what to do for an os. ASUS told me to go buy a copy of windows 8, not helpful.

any suggestions? the cheapest solution possible would be cool cause i am a college student and have no money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

Actually in this case, I ordered recovery media disc and downloaded generic windows setup disc image. Also one can downloaded the additional drivers, if needed. And this solves my problem.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

If you decide to buy your own Win8 software, I recommend you buy 8.1

Doesn't ASUS have the install disc for your exact model that you can buy especially if its 8.1?

--- Unfortunately in your situation ASUS is correct

I've read that it's possible to get a Win8, maybe 8.1 ISO for free and maybe someone else can provide that information

--- If I find that information in my notes, I'll post it

--- But if that's true, I believe if you do not know your 25 character product key or whatever Win8/8.1 calls it in their world you will have to purchase a product key anyway and I doubt there will much of a saving

One benefit I see if you buy Win 8.1 from a vendor other than ASUS, bloatware shouldn't be an issue

--- However make sure you buy from a reputable company

--- There quite a few on-line companies that sell software very cheap but I wouldn't buy one from any of them without considering opinions from BC first

--- Myself I buy most of my computer items at TigerDirect but there's plenty more reputable companies to work with

--- I just checked out TigerDirect;s Win 8.1 software and I think their prices are very reasonable

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

Digital River used to host .iso files for Windows installations, but those have been pulled some time ago. Now if you want to download them you'll need to go to Microsoft's site and enter your key (OEM keys won't work, only retail ones).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users