Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS using large amount of C-Drive & I don't know why

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SoNotAGeek

SoNotAGeek

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Hi,
Pertinent Info:
Windows 7 HP x64
16 GB RAM installed
1 TB HDD / 4 Partitions (1 Primary + 3 Logical - Extended)
Avast Free Anti-virus

I hope I've posted this to the correct forum.

My C-drive is located on a 204 GB partition but I have less than 90.0 GB of available space. Yet, all folders & their subfolders in root directory (excluding hidden system files, I'm assuming) total around 53.1 GB.
After running WinDirStat, I see that pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, winsxs, & an "Unknown" file (System Restore?) are taking up large amounts of space. 

I wanted to know the following:
1) Is it recommended to disable/delete Hibernation since I'm on a desktop? And why do I even have a hiberfil.sys file? It's not a Shut Down option, only Sleep is listed, and I have 16 GB RAM.
2) Can I shrink the pagefile (safely) w/o experiencing performance issues? Or relocate the file to the next closest partition?
3) What is the recommended percentage of disk space for SystemRestore points? BTW, I only have it configured to make ShadowCopies of C, not any of the other partitions.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

Hi SoNotAGeek :)

You're right that on a desktop, hibernation isn't really useful, except if you want to save some electricity. Personally, I disabled it on mine and I never had an issue with it. And so does all the desktop computers at my workplace. If you disable it, it should solve the hiberfil.sys problem by removing it. Here's a good tutorial from SevenForums showing you how to disable Hibernation mode under Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

You can safely shrink the pagefile.sys file without expericing performance issues. If you are to use your full 16GB of RAM, then it's either by mistake (not intended) or on purpose for a very specific task and that task shouldn't really on the pagefile.sys file to maintain the rest of the processes. Here's an article on HowToGeek showing you how to shrink the pagefile.sys file:

http://www.howtogeek.com/126430/htg-explains-what-is-the-windows-page-file-and-should-you-disable-it/

You can decide to disable it (if you read the whole article and decide to do so), or simply manage it manually and set the sizes yourself.

Also, the recommended amount of disk usage for the System Restore can depend on the size of your hard drive and how often you need it. I would suggest you to always keep between 5-10 Restore Points and once it exceed that point, to flush the older ones. Reason is that restore points can easily become corrupted, therefore unusable and keeping only a few of them, but good ones, makes it easier to use them when comes the time where you need them.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 SoNotAGeek

SoNotAGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Thank you. Please consider this post closed.

Sincerely,

SoNotAGeek

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

No problem SoNotAGeek, my pleasure to assist you :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users