Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Protection for Iphone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 msdhoni

msdhoni

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Is there any recommended software Virus protection ( if any) for iphone five and up. Also anything to block ads.

Tks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

Hello there,

As far as I know Apple does not allow AV apps on the App Store, so unfortunately there are no AV apps for iPhones yet.

Alex

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

You can use
Avira Mobile Security

iPhone 5: Top 5 Antivirus Apps

Avast

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:57 AM

Avast

boopme, Avast Mobile Security is Android only :)

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

Correct they only have ,Online Security , feature.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hello there,

As far as I know Apple does not allow AV apps on the App Store, so unfortunately there are no AV apps for iPhones yet.

Alex

There are anti-virus apps on the App Store, but they are only "on demand" scanners to my knowledge (i.e. do not run in the background constantly scanning). And they generally only scan for computer viruses, not iOS threats, to help prevent them being spread.

In essence, they are pretty much worthless in terms of securing/protecting an iPhone (or iPad or iPod Touch) due to how Apple designs/setups iOS.

To the original poster, as long as you have not jailbroken your iPhone, there is currently not much to do. While there are threats out there of iOS, from what most of what I have read, those threats typically require physical access to the phone. At this point in time, as long as you maintain physical control of your phone, there is not much you should worry about. That does not mean you should not still practice "safe browsing" and "safe computing" practices on an iPhone (see the link in Alexstrasza's signature).

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:35 AM

There are anti-virus apps on the App Store, but they are only "on demand" scanners to my knowledge (i.e. do not run in the background constantly scanning). And they generally only scan for computer viruses, not iOS threats, to help prevent them being spread.

In essence, they are pretty much worthless in terms of securing/protecting an iPhone (or iPad or iPod Touch) due to how Apple designs/setups iOS.

I actually asked one of the experts here in BC, and he stated that apps like Avira is not considered an actual AV (instead it is classified as an utility app, because Apple does not allow actual AV apps into the iPhone App Store). I did not know about the on-demand part only though, as I use an iPhone 3GS and thus is incompatible with all the "AV for iPhones" currently on the market right now.

But if an AV for iPhones only scans for computer threats then it's better just to use resident AV protection on the machine in the first place.

Thanks for the information :)

Regards,
Alex

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

I actually asked one of the experts here in BC, and he stated that apps like Avira is not considered an actual AV (instead it is classified as an utility app, because Apple does not allow actual AV apps into the iPhone App Store). I did not know about the on-demand part only though, as I use an iPhone 3GS and thus is incompatible with all the "AV for iPhones" currently on the market right now.

But if an AV for iPhones only scans for computer threats then it's better just to use resident AV protection on the machine in the first place.

Thanks for the information :)

Regards,
Alex

Any anti-virus app on the iOS App Store is limited to "Open with.." function in iOS. So, to scan a file (such as an email attachment), you have to use the "Open with..." function from with in Mail in iOS, which then "sends" the file to anti-virus app, which can then scan it. Otherwise, iOS is very much a "firewalled" off OS (which is why there are no "real-time" virus scanners for iOS).

Again, they are of such limited use that I personally consider them useless.

#9 Simpalm

Simpalm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

According to Apple, the iOS platform is incredibly secure. The company even states that it "designed the iOS platform with security at its core. Keeping information secure on mobile devices is critical for any user, whether they’re accessing corporate and customer information or storing personal photos, banking information, and addresses. Because every user’s information is important, iOS devices are built to maintain a high level of security without compromising the user experience."

As a result, Apple's iPad and iPhone are generally considered to be safe and secure devices to use, and many confidently claim that iOS is safer than Android. However, Apple's iOS platform for the iPad and iPhone hasn't been without its security breaches and vulnerabilitiies, and nor has iCloud, the cloud storage service which makes it possible to access documents, photos and more on all of your Apple devices.

Edited by Simpalm, 18 March 2015 - 08:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users