I already suspected some serious problems with this laptop... it was getting increasingly slower. My Avast AV didn't find anything.
It looked to me like TrustedInstaller.exe was running amok in the task manager so I did a little Googling to see if there was something going on out there. I downloaded solvusoft's Winthruster (didn't get the paid version) and let it fix 15 registry errors. I'd looked around to see if they were trusted... but I'm an idiot! Granted, maybe the problem was more related to prior viruses on the system. But, immediately after Winthruster was done I got this message:
This copy of Windows is not genuine
I tried to restore to a prior point but wasn't allowed to. I'm sure the problem needs to be fixed before trying to put in my Windows license #. But, even worse than that is the fact that I don't have the license # written down & it's worn off the bottom of the laptop. I'm hoping that it still remains somewhere on here.