Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EMET. (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)...comments ? experiences ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

http://www.maketecheasier.com/emet-secure-windows-computer/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10032015

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) is a utility primarily for System Administrators to help protect enterprise servers/client computers using application hardening...a security feature designed to prevent exploitation of various types of vulnerabilities in software applications. EMET has built-in support for enterprise deployment which enables Administrators to use Group Policy or System Center Configuration Manager to deploy, configure and monitor EMET installations across the enterprise environment. After installing EMET, you must configure it to provide protection for specific software. This requires you to provide the name and location of the executable file that you want to protect.

What is the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit?
The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is a utility that helps prevent vulnerabilities in software from being successfully exploited. EMET achieves this goal by using security mitigation technologies. These technologies function as special protections and obstacles that an exploit author must defeat to exploit software vulnerabilities. These security mitigation technologies do not guarantee that vulnerabilities cannot be exploited. However, they work to make exploitation as difficult as possible to perform.

The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit

The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is a utility designed to help IT Professionals protect systems from common threats. EMET works by applying security mitigation technologies to arbitrary applications to block against exploitation through common attack vectors...

Video: Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit

EMET uses security mitigation technologies such as Data Execution Prevention (DEP), Mandatory Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), Structured Exception Handler Overwrite Protection (SEHOP), Export Address Table Access Filtering (EAF), Anti-ROP, and SSL/TLS Certificate Trust Pinning, to help protect computer systems from new or undiscovered threats. EMET can also protect legacy applications or third party line of business applications where you do not have access to the source code...

Introducing Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

I recommend it.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

And I use it. :wink:

EMET feats

A question:

Doesn't the latest software(not EMET) include such mitigation techs by default? Like ASLR, DEP etc?

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 11 March 2015 - 04:19 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

A question:

Doesn't the latest software(not EMET) include such mitigation techs by default? Like ASLR, DEP etc?

Yes, but it forces ASLR on DLLs that don't have the flag set.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

Here is How to Guide which the average user can understand....Quickly Secure Your Computer With Microsoft’s Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:01 PM

@ Didier Stevens and quietman7,
Thanks for your answers :) .
I can now confidently recommend EMET to others as well as make me self aware of the tool I have.
Is this similar to MBAE? Oh, I havent used it, but heard its a good to have product. Which do you think is best?
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 March 2015 - 01:52 AM

What do you think of EMET when compared to MBAE, quietman7?

I would add HitmanPro.Alert too, but version 3 is only Release Candidate so I'll stick to MBAE in the exploit mitigration department.

Alex

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,481 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

With EMET you have to add/import the software (“Popular Software.xml”) to the Apps list. Anything not in the .xml you have to add separately. EMET also allows you to activate other features...DEP, SEHOP, ASLR and modify system-wide settings not enabled by default because they may cause some applications to not work properly. It is especially useful for helping to secure Windows XP for those still using that OS.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), formerly ExploitShield by ZeroVulnerabilityLabs, is a security program that runs in the background as a standard Windows Service and protects against zero-day exploits that target browser and application vulnerabilities, blocks exploit kits and defends against drive-by download attacks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit provides three layers of exploit protection (against Operating System security bypasses, memory caller protection, application behavior protection). MBAE continuously monitors popular applications, preventing vulnerabilities in software and browsers from being exploited, blocks unknown and known exploit kits, proactively preventing the exploit from installing its payload before it can do damage. This means that it will protect against code execution that uses a certain vulnerability in an application. MBAE leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive, does not utilize a lot of system resources and does not use a signature database so there is no need for constant updating.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit includes a 14-day trial mode for the Premimum version which you can enable during installation by checking the box when prompted. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium includes additional protecton (Shields) for PDF readers, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Media players and allows the ability to add/manage custom shields. The Premium version requires a registration ID and purchase of a license key after the trial period expires.

Note: The installer/setup for all three...Free, Trial and Premium is the same. If you are installing for the first time during the install, it will ask if you want a 14-day trial mode. If you click continue without unchecking it will enable the 14-day trial. After the trial you can choose to continue using Free or upgrade to paid Premium. If you choose to continue with the Free version, then Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit will still continue providing real-time protection against web-based exploits in browsers, browser add-ons and Java.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Resources:

#10 j4m3s

j4m3s

• Members
  • 287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

I use it as well. You should probably be prepared for it to break things, even if you import the "Popular Software" settings. I had to adjust EMET's settings for Firefox to get it working properly. You might not experience the same issues, but just be aware that you're force-enabling some settings that don't work with all programs. Improved security was worth the headache for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users