Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow wireless download

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

I'm having problems with my wireless download speed on my laptop.

I have two PCs running and did download speed tests on both wirelessly and Ethernet plugged in. The speed test on the desktop received 68+Mbps download and 5 + upload speed connected directly with cable. Then I unplugged the cable and retested with results of 78+ download and 5 + upload. 

I did a wireless speed test on the laptop which resulted in 14+Mbps and 2+ upload. Then I plugged in the cable and retested with results of 70+ download and 5+ upload. Therefore, I assume the problem lies with my wireless connection on the laptop. The laptop is an HP Envy dv7, running 64 bit windows 8.1, i7-3630QM Intel quad core @ 2.4GHz, 16GB Memory and Ralink RT5390R 802.11 wi-fi adapter. What can I do to find the problem?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/HP-ENVY-dv7-7243cl-Wireless-Adapter-Issues/td-p/2412829

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/Notebook-HP-ENVY-dv7-7235ec-W8-WiFi-problem/td-p/2247109

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking/HP-ENVY-dv7-Wireless-Issues/td-p/2625365

Problems with wi-fi on this laptop seem moderately common and at least some of them are down to the aerial connection, see the above articles from the HP forum. If you google 'HP Envy dv7 problems' you will also find links to a couple of YouTube videos which claim - I make no guarrantees - to show you how to fix this problem. Might be worth a look.

You also need to remember that wi-fi on a laptop is affected by the distance from the router and the nature of any materials in the way.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:07 PM

Thank you, Chris. I'll try all the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users