Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Laptop For College?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DustCrow

DustCrow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

I'm starting college next year, and I need a laptop! I better one than my current laptop anyways... I currently have an Acer Aspire S7 391 - purchased it used, and it just has too many cons that just don't make it worth the $600 I paid for it. 

It gets too hot for Lap use, battery life is about 2-3 hours, the fan gets crazy loud... too loud for my high school classes, and the trackpad is jumpy, slow, and just.. terrible.

So I need a new laptop! (: Here are some things I would like to mention that may help tell you what I'm looking for.

1. Good Battery Life. A minimum of 6 hours.

2. Atleast a 1080p display. (Prefer touchscreen)

3. 13 inches minimum display size.

4. Slim, and powerful for it's size. I don't need to be editing videos or playing games, but being able to do some tasks that require a little more power would be nice!

5. The fan, if there is one, simply can't be loud. I don't know why this bothers me so much, it's fine if it's my desktop, but for a laptop, ugh..

I'll also be bringing my desktop to school, this Laptop will mostly be for taking notes, and being able to do all of my school "stuff" on a portable device, so I can work... anywhere!

Your suggestion doesn't need to match any of the specifications I mentioned, I'll certainly take a look at anything recommended! 

Thank you so much!

(In-case it makes any kind of difference, I'm going into Business at an above average university, 30,000 students total)

EDIT: I forgot to include a budget! haha! I'm willing to look into used versions of the laptops recommended as well, to possibly save a hundred bucks or so, I would say mu budget is just around $1,000. (Possibly being able to find it used for maybe $800 if any are available used).

Edited by DustCrow, 10 March 2015 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:39 AM

1. Good Battery Life. A minimum of 6 hours.

2. At least a 1080p display. (Prefer touchscreen)

Can have one, or the other, can't have both.

High end high quality display means 2-3 hours battery life max [on most laptops].

Consider getting an external USB-powered notebook cooling assembly for InTheDormRoom gaming/movie use.

Because your school work is important, purchase two external USB HDs, get and systematically [bi-weekly] use backup/restore software to make backups, test by trying to restore a folder and a file now and then.

And, do not share passwords with friends and neighbors as a rule.

When you email stuff to teachers, copy yourself -- creates a tracable date/time/content sent stamp.

Last, but not least, if you experience computer problems - BleepingComputer is one of the great places to be.

Edited by RolandJS, 10 March 2015 - 11:41 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,824 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

If you have a Staples near you, look for some of the weekly deals. They sometimes have $100 off coupons on computers regularly prices above a certain point. Sometimes those regularly priced computers have sale prices and then you can use the $100 coupon to get the price down further. My daughter got a Toshiba laptop that was regularly prices at $500 down to $250 doing this.

Go to Slickdeals.com. This link is the computer section. They sometimes have threads on how you can get a good computer cheap using the discounts and coupons.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:45 PM

Woot! (an Amazon company) has daily deals on computers.  The problem is you need to decide within 24 hours if you want to buy.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Try to avoid going too cheap -- this is after all your school work, homework, classwork, lectures, notes, documents downloaded, text files copyNpasted, etc.

You and your education deserves the best laptop you can reasonably afford.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users