Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying Favo(u)rites / bookmarks and settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

I switch between two PC's one XP and the other Windows 7, both using nearly always Chrome.

There must be a simple way of sync-ing the bookmarks (and settings) between the two so that at any one time the bookmarks on each show the latest selection?  

Possibly with "settings" (rather than the full "documents and settings") it would be more complicated due to the different operating systems - but this would not be so important.

I would have to identify the locations of the relevant folders to copy from and to. I have this idea of then exporting the data to a USB stick and then re-importing from it.

Is there a way?  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

Short answer - yes !

In Chrome you can import and export your bookmarks as an HTML file although, since it is Google, not everything is obvious. Click on the symbol with three horizontal bars in the top right hand corner of the Chrome window, hover on 'Bookmarks' in the drop down list taht appears, then select 'Manage bookmarks' in the next menu.

This opens a tab called 'Bookmarks manager' which is divided vertically into two parts, the right hand part is headed 'Organise'. If you click on 'Organise' itself you will get a drop down menu at the bottom of which you will see 'Import from . . .' and Export to . . .'. Clicking on 'Export' will create an HTML file of your bookmarks which you can save wherever you want to, and 'Import will let you browse to this file and bring them into Chrome.

Similar methods exist in both Firefox and IE.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

Much of this sounds familiar but it is helpful to have it summarised for action, tks.  I was wondering if I could or should do the same with my "Settings" folder (as in Docs & Settings) or if trying to sync 2 different PC's might be asking for trouble (in total there are 3, one XP and 2 W7's)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

I wouldn't worry about your settings too much - after all you only set them your way once and you would probably have them pretty much the same on each computer. I know i do. What I don't know is if you could do this for settings in the same way you can for bookmarks. After all, you modify bookmarks fairly frequently - new ones get added, old ones get deleted.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users