Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser won't connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 earman

earman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

I am working on an Acer Aspire 4339-2618 running Windows 7 Home Premium. I can ping www.google.com and 8.8.8.8 successfully. However, whenever I open up IE11 or Chrome, I get the message that "This page can't be displayed" (IE11) or "Unable to connect to the Internet (Chrome).

IE11 nor Chrome will connect to the Internet.

I ran Malwarebytes and removed over a hundred malicious objects and 700+ non-malicious items. I ran Adwcleaner and JunkRremoval tool and removed adware and other items. However, I am still unable to connect to the Internet. I am using a computer on the same network to post this and two other computers on the same network are all working just fine so I know it isn't the router/modem.

I am unable to figure out how to change the boot sequence so as to run a Kaspersky Rescue disk. When I tap F10 on start-up I get the following:

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 7 Home Premium

Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 3

Hard Disk: d1ffod4

[                                                                                                                                                 ]

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 10:24 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hello there, 

It's worth considering that both Internet Explorer and Chrome use the same type of settings to access the internet so please try the following: 

1. Launch Internet Explorer then go to "Settings" > "Internet Options" 
2. Click the Connections tab, then click the LAN Settings
3. Make sure only "Automatically detected settings" is ticked then click OK to apply the changes 

Hope this helps! 

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

If you need get into BIOS [or UEFI?], F2 gets you there.  F12 will cough up a menu, where you can decide which device to boot from, of course have the USB stick already plugged in.  That's how my two Acers work.

** If you have UEFI and Windows 8, it's possible that even F12 will not let you boot USB stick.  The only thing that can nonHD boot is the Windows 8 OEM or MS blue-disk DVD from either internal or external DVD drive.** 

Edited by RolandJS, 10 March 2015 - 10:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

I would suggest that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum in order to make sure your computer is no longer infected.  If it is still infected, trying other repairs could exacerbate the situation.

Mod Edit:  Moved to AII - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 earman

earman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Masterthemachines, thanks for the advice, but I have already done that.  Thanks, RolandJS, I thought that I had hit F2 before but apparently not. I was able to access BIOS to change boot sequence. As a result I am currently running a Kaspersky Resuce disk. As suggested, I will move this topic to the "Am I infected" forum.  Also, my apologies for not replying sooner, I had to elave for work and don't get home until late. Thanks again to all.

#6 earman

earman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

The problem was with the F-Secure anti-malware (virus) program. I downloaded the F-Secure removal tool, ran it, uninstalled the F-Secure program and now both Chrome and IE11 are connecting to the Internet. 

#7 earman

earman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:10 PM

Not sure how to mark this thread solved (?),

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

You just did.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 earman

earman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users